James Lodge Ltd, Solly St

rob123

Anyone got any info on the above ? I think they were still in Solly St until demolished for the new apartments but not sure. Are they still operating ?

Their liquidator (Matthew Sheppard, Leopold street) was appointed on 29th December 1976. Lodge's business was "Cutlery, Silverware and Pewterware Manufacturer", and their address was 216 Solly Street (the Cambridge Works in 1911)

Hello during the last year I have collected a couple of images with these makers marks on. They were marks on British Army cutlery. These “J.L” marks shown in my in composite photo brought me to this post. Both the marks in my photo show that the items were manufacture in 1955 and this is well in “Lodge’s” period of life.

347624180_J.LpossJamesLodgeLtdWarDeptcutlery1955.jpg.42a3da33c20fc902dbd0da3ad1221510.jpg

Are there out on the forum, people, with any more firm information that could identify the manufacturer of the cutlery with the pictured marks? I have seen on line a “J.L.Ltd” mark being attached to the “James Lodge” company along with “blades” on line with the full name on. Obviously I am hoping my “J.L” is that Sheffield manufacturer.

Yours  Kalfred

1141441858_ProbJamesLodgeLtd.jpg.616d6edf5360974ccf77025781a6be61.jpg                                                                  Photo suggested to be a James Lodge Ltd mark 

Hello, I’ve come back to this post 7 months on because I was researching something else and found a couple of images that stirred a memory. Below are 2 items that were made by “James Lodge Ltd” and the first one may have a “Lodge” trademark (official or otherwise). 647689186_JamesLodgeSweetline.jpg.80667c47398118ac24fda0f1b29c7434.jpg531444611_JLodgemarksspoons.jpg.8ec7ea19492cda3d9646d2e33d445d06.jpg

The “Sweetline” mark was inside the box of a large spoon and fork serving set but all the impressed marks on the flatware are of more interest to me as they may answer my own question from May.  The 7 spoon dessert set carries the 2 makers’ marks shown below.

1490680267_JLodgemarkscomp.jpg.acd8f01bfd6d13aad323412b6ec1c732.jpg

The company’s full mark is carried on the finial of the large serving spoon and the abbreviated mark is on the small spoons. Additionally the mark impressed on the server pair carries the same simple “J.L” that is on that military cutlery. Unusually I might have guessed correctly?

Kalfred

This set of Fruit Spoons along with it's Server are now sadly a thing of the past, they are not and shouldn't be called Dessert Spoon set.

Sorry Tozzin, I was going to call it "Gran's Sunday fruit cocktail set" but I did not think anyone else would know what I meant.

Kalfred

My word that brought back some memories. As a treat, my family used to eat fruit salad (usually the sort bought in tins, chopped up into small identical-sized squares in a watery syrup) with those exact fruit spoons back in the '50s and '60s. Often with a small helping of evaporated milk.