Toga

unrecordings

Does anyone have a potted history of Toga ?

I've a couple of old chisels marked Toga, but there's no 'Sheffield' stamp - I thought they were a Sheffield company, but then after a couple of fairly fruitless Google expeditions assumed they might not. I see the odd 'for sale' listing that quotes Toga as a Sheffield brand, but without seeing the stamp I'm treating that information as suspect...

Toga Tools were made by Buck and Hickman, who were based in Whitechapel.  There is a Sheffield connection though.  Matthew Buck (1776-1865) a Sheffield sawmaker went to London, his daughter Ann married John Roe Hickman (1806 - 1847), hence the tool making firm.  They moved their headquarters from Whitechapel to Sheffield in 1974, and were bought by BSS in 2007.

3 hours ago, Edmund said:

Toga Tools were made by Buck and Hickman, who were based in Whitechapel.  There is a Sheffield connection though.  Matthew Buck (1776-1865) a Sheffield sawmaker went to London, his daughter Ann married John Roe Hickman (1806 - 1847), hence the tool making firm.  They moved their headquarters from Whitechapel to Sheffield in 1974, and were bought by BSS in 2007.

Buck & Hickman 1830 – 2010

..... and in 2011 they were bought again by Brammer plc and still under that ownership. 

...oh I've been hiding from you lot...

Thanks for all the replies, now I've an admission. I dug out my Toga chisel and guess what it says:

"Toga - Sheffield Made - Warranted"

Amongst other things this means I must have another Toga chisel somewhere, but I wondered if the 'Sheffield Made' stamp could refer to the steel rather than the actual chisel - or would that have been a bit cheeky...?

Edit: This chisel is pretty old, pre 60's I would have thought - i'll get a photo or two up when I can