Industrial Panorama

southside

Hmm...

I suppose Don Valley, but where ?

Without checking the features I have a hunch the view is looking south east from Wincobank

There's a line in the forground that could be a road/railway/canal structure

Behind that to the right an embankment

Over in the top right a bridge with three arches

The railway bridge in the foreground has a look of the one on Bernard Road. The angle the road goes under the railway is very similar. Obviously more railway track would have been put in later widening the bridge.

I really wasn't sure but I think you're right. The bridge doesn't look right, and I think there should be a church just on this side of it, but that all really depends on when the photo was taken. Looking at the National Library of Scotland maps there should be a lot more railway yards too (so maybe we're looking at the scene during the clearance for these yards.)

The building in the foreground in front of the embankment looks right though (looking at the 1888-1913 map)

Looks like it

The church I mentioned that should be on the left of the bridge is Emmanuel Church - now demolished by the looks of it but built in 1880. The only image I can find on Picture Sheffield has a small bell tower rather than a full on steeple, so if it's there it's hiding in the smog, or this dates the photo to pre-1880 (?)

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 13.09.17.png

The view is almost unrecognisable today, with the buildings and infrastructure now obscuring what would have been there in c. 1870. But, if I was stood behind Cricket Inn Road and Aston Street, with my back to the old Cricket Ground and I looked over the tram tracks, over the Parkway and straight over the roof of the PC World call centre on Nunnery. Turn the clock back 150 years......... 

Purple Line - Maltravers Road

Green Line - Cricket Inn Road / Aston Street

Red Line - Sheffield-Tinsley Canal

Blue Line - River Don

1.   Bernard Road Bridge (pre-Bernard Road)

2.   Two chimneys remaining from Sheffield Coke Ovens

3.   4 derelict brick kilns (or cementation furnaces) from an original row of 8 on old canal Street

4.   Effingham Nut and Bolt Works

5.   Park Iron Works

6.   Scotia Works

7.   Norfolk Bridge Forge / Salmon Pastures Yard (pre-coal depot)

8.   Metham Works - Steel Refining above the numbered box and Park Cottage / Palissy Oil and Soap works below it

9.   Brick Kiln  - would become Worthing Road

10. Washford Bridge

A certain amount of educated guesswork and artistic licence, but it looks like it could be right???

Industrial Panorama of Sheffield_Marked Up.JPG

Think you've got it

Edit - hang on, look what I found on Picture Sheffield

Ref No:u04916

Title:View of Sheffield Coke Ovens and railway with Park Cottage in the right foreground from Cricket Inn Road around 1860's

Date Period:1851-1899

Photographer:Theophilus Smith

u04916.jpg

...and this is quite a nice find

Ref No:s25833

Title:Panoramic View looking towards Attercliffe from Park Hill with Nunnery Goods Station House and Stables (right); Spear and Jackson, Park Hill Works; Bernard Road Incinerator and Bernard Road Railway Bridge in the foreground

Date:06/05/1972

s25833.jpg

I should have known better than to waste a couple of hours fiddling with my crayons, when the answer was probably only a click away......... and usually in Picture Sheffield???

Ah well, at least it proved to be 'on the money'...

Go on! You know its the satisfaction of getting it spot-on with an excellent bit of research;-) Well done! 

That latest picture proves the case for the Clean Air Act as well.

4 hours ago, RLongden said:

I should have known better than to waste a couple of hours fiddling with my crayons, when the answer was probably only a click away......... and usually in Picture Sheffield???

You and me both - and I was in there looking for pictures of that Emmanuel Church...