What do we know about this part of town?

Sheffield History

Sheffield.jpg

Need your help on this one.

Here's an old pic of Sheffield city centre with flattened spaces and carparks etc

Any ideas what used to be here on these spaces?

Looks like the area at bottom of The Moor with St Mary's Gate, London Rd and Cemetery Road visible. The road at the bottom of the picture is South Lane, and still looks quite similar today, although the bend isn't quite as tight..

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.43.

The  white building with the tower is the Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-Op. a building which had some beautiful period tilework...but like so much else in Sheffield it was demolished for development. It's next door neighbour was a bank and the steam is coming from SH Ward's long lamented brewery.

Picture here looking over that area from the bottom of The Moor in the 50's before the roundabout was built. It was great when you could ride in a straight line through town on a back loader or tram, or even in a car ;----------------  (C) Picture Sheffield          -------------     http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18008&pos=52&action=zoom&id=20597

moorfoot.jpg

Ellin Street also in the 50's 60's had the NHS Radiography Centre / X-ray, which I think had previously been the Brunswick Vestry, if you got sent there you were worried. A mate of mine came back and they said they would have to take a lung out, luckily he was OK the last time I saw him with just the other one.

I would have thought this area of Moorfoot / London Road / Ecclesall Road had been mapped and discussed in minute detail by now? In the 50s OS maps, posted elsewhere on the site, the centre right of this map shows the area:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-195039s-over-300-of-them-33/?do=findComment&comment=23552

Also, there are other threads about the 'ruins' shown on the 50s map?

The original photo looks more 70's, so attached is a map, which shows the roundabout in construction (now gone) and before the bulldozers moved in on the streets and buildings that are now the flattened car parks in the original photo...

Probably loads of images on PS also, using the street names as search terms?

Young Street and surrounds.JPG

I remember this area well. I worked in the tool works which was James Neill before they moved down to Handsworth. The garage next door was Lex Brooklands a Volvo dealer. Further down the bank was Midland as it was then. The opposite side of the road were terraced houses, one of which had a barbers and another there was a betting shop. Round the corner on Moor street was a public house although I cannot recall the name of it. Had a pint or two in there at lunch time (wouldn't get away with it now) and a pint was 1shiiling and 9pence (less than 10p). At the other side of The Moor on Ellin st the garage was a Toyota dealer but again cannot recall the name. I believe they moved onto Broadfield road a few years later. The factory opposite the Electricity Sub Station was Pickerings who made cardboard packing boxes.

The old trams used to run from London Road, through the roundabout and up the Moor.

There was a one way system towards the bottom of Ecclesall Road before the Moore Street roundabout was built. Other buildings long gone that I remember were the single storey Post Office building  [1]. It's strange how the memory plays tricks. I thought the Yorkshire Bank was at the end of Ecclesall Road [2] but the map shows it as The Moor. There used to be a branch of Franklins (beds and carpets) around here before they moved up Ecclesall Road towards Greystones Road.

[3] on the map is the Sheffield and Ecclesall Co=op building. My grandmother was a shopper here and would take me here in the run up to Christmas to see Father Christmas in his grotto after a long journey on the special train/ viking boat or whatever that year's gimmick was. Thanks to imaginative lighting and rolls of scenery, we really believed we were making a long journey (I could never work out why such a long journey was compressed into such little floor space.

Ecclesall_road.PnG

On 16/01/2017 at 22:27, boginspro said:

Ellin Street also in the 50's 60's had the NHS Radiography Centre / X-ray, which I think had previously been the Brunswick Vestry, if you got sent there you were worried. A mate of mine came back and they said they would have to take a lung out, luckily he was OK the last time I saw him with just the other one.

It's where the TB chest MMR (Mass Miniature Radiography) unit was.It was a mass screening program to control TB.

The films taken were 100mmx100mm hence the miniature.  

When it closed the unit was moved to the Royal on West Street and housed at the back of the Outpatient Department.

When the Royal closed it moved again to the Hallamshire Outpatient Department Floor 'A'  A well travelled unit.

22 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

So from the map above, did The Moor once continue much further down to St Marys Gate than it does today? 

Yes, straight down but that was before the building of the Manpowers Services building (or whatever it is called now). I believe the original idea was to have access from St Marys Gate onto The Moor via an arch under the building (think it is still there) but due to the times it was thought to be too big a temptation and it was blocked off with railings. Not been down that end of town for a long time.

One building to survive the bulldozer was Joseph Pickerings factory on the corner of Young Street and Moore Street (just out of the photograph).

Anyone know the history of the building?

Joseph Pickering.jpg

Joseph Pickering 2.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/02/2018 at 14:33, Forgeman said:

I remember this area well. I worked in the tool works which was James Neill before they moved down to Handsworth. The garage next door was Lex Brooklands a Volvo dealer. Further down the bank was Midland as it was then. The opposite side of the road were terraced houses, one of which had a barbers and another there was a betting shop. Round the corner on Moor street was a public house although I cannot recall the name of it. Had a pint or two in there at lunch time (wouldn't get away with it now) and a pint was 1shiiling and 9pence (less than 10p). At the other side of The Moor on Ellin st the garage was a Toyota dealer but again cannot recall the name. I believe they moved onto Broadfield road a few years later. The factory opposite the Electricity Sub Station was Pickerings who made cardboard packing boxes.

Rippon Brothers garage on Ellin Street was a Rolls Royce dealer in mid 60s.

On 16 January 2017 at 21:29, Voldy said:

On the original photograph the road, now named as South Lane In Leadfarmer's picture, was called Ellin Street and contained extensive garaging facilities on the land in the bottom RH corner of the photo. http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-188-1221039677.jpg  top LH corner of map.

Doesn't the posted map show both Ellin Street and South Lane so it's doubtful Ellin Street was renamed South Lane.

On 16/01/2017 at 16:40, LeadFarmer said:

Looks like the area at bottom of The Moor with St Mary's Gate, London Rd and Cemetery Road visible. The road at the bottom of the picture is South Lane, and still looks quite similar today, although the bend isn't quite as tight..

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2016.43.

Ah the pic's missing now 

:(

57 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Ah the pic's missing now 

:(

Yes, and all thanks to Photobucket. Despite switching to flickr, I tend to just drag any pictures straight into my post so that they stay here.

5 hours ago, southside said:

One building to survive the bulldozer was Joseph Pickerings factory on the corner of Young Street and Moore Street (just out of the photograph).

Anyone know the history of the building?

Joseph Pickering.jpg

Joseph Pickering 2.jpg

Quoting from Blanco and Bull where a comprehensive history of Joseph Pickering & Sons Limited can be found

"The packaging side of the business was a great success and in 1906 a new factory was built in Moore Street for the production of cartons. Designed by city architect CM Hadfield the splendid fireproof concrete and steel flat roofed factory was faced with ornate terracotta. Now a listed façade, it fronts a stylish modern office block."

I really like this building, but wonder why the additional storey added when it was refurbished had to be such an incongruous colour. It seems to be a common thing when such modernisations are done, and it annoys me.

Thanks for the Blanco and bull link madannie77

As for the roof colour!   I guess the Architect wanted to put his own stamp on the building.

The reason the roof and top story are a very different colour ('incongruous') is because the planners require the later addition to be visually separate from the original listed façade. The idea is there should be no confusion about the building's history, which could occur if the architect tried to 'blend in' the new addition.