Wild Well at Norton Hollow?

LeadFarmer

Anyone know where this wold have been? The postcard is titled Wild Well and located at Norton Hollow. Not entirely sure it is Norton in Sheffield.

Theres a large building top right, what would this be?

I live in Norton but have no idea where this would have been..

Hollow.jpg

The other photo angle on PS shows the footpath and the lay of the land...

Wild Well - Alt' angle. Picture Sheffield

A little puzzled over the large house in the background, as nothing like that would be visible o/a that locale? Not Ivy House, different building shape altogether. More like Norton Hall or The Oaks, but too far away???

I also found this photograph of Norton Hollow, of a lad at a stile, over a stream. Note the hills in the background and the house on the horizon?

The well would probably be further up the hill, otherwise why would you need a well by the stream? You'd just dip your bucket in!

More digging around required on this one..... 

The Stile_Norton Hollow_Series 49.JPG

This map of the Lost Rivers of Sheffield seems to indicate that a river flowed across The Dale and downhill in the general direction of the stile (which is approximately just before where Fraser Drive is now?).  Is it logical that the well is actually just an opening in the ground somewhere adjacent the footpath allowing access to the underground stream? 

Lost Rivers.JPG

If my arrow approximates the general direction RLongdens photograph is looking in, then there are several building which could be on the skyline around Derbyshire Lane/Four Lane Ends. 

Wild Well.JPG

Is this the Wild Well shown a bit further over on St Anningtons map. You would be looking over towards Laycock`s from this point.

Well.jpg

BY GUM! There's something in this, as if you look at the original photo of the well at the top of this post and then look at the picture of the Laycocks building here:

Laycocks building on Picture Sheffield

Imagine looking at this building from a distance, over to the left of this photo. Now look at the roofline, the closeness of the two chimneys on the gable end and the layout of the windows........ 

The view from the well pointed out in southside's post seems to be spot on!?

If the well were there today, you would be looking at Laycocks, which would be where Sainsbury's carpark, Archer Road is today.

Who knows, maybe there are some clues of the existence of the wel, on the grass verge, at the side of Fraser Crescent?

Wild Well location, Fraser Crescent

So me more research required, but I think this is a very valid suggestion.....

BY GUM! There's something in this, as if you look at the original photo of the well at the top of this post and then look at the picture of the Laycocks building here:

Laycocks building on Picture Sheffield

Imagine looking at this building from a distance, over to the left of this photo. Now look at the roofline, the closeness of the two chimneys on the gable end and the layout of the windows........ 

The view from the well pointed out in southside's post seems to be spot on!?

If the well were there today, you would be looking at Laycocks, which would be where Sainsbury's carpark, Archer Road is today.

Who knows, maybe there are some clues of the existence of the wel, on the grass verge, at the side of Fraser Crescent?

Wild Well location, Fraser Crescent

So me more research required, but I think this is a very valid suggestion.....

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

RLongden, you could be right.

If so, then according to your link to the National Library of Scotland map, then the well was positioned between the last house and the speed bump (where I have circled on Fraser Crescent).

9f5db817-4012-47c8-9071-e79edbe9f6e0_zps

The view from that spot today looks like this (the inclined bank to the left of the well in the old photo is still there today)....

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-15%20at%2022.17.

Hollow.jpg.67bce99316e42af28690e85a7479d

However, St Anningtons post above refers to the Picture Sheffield website, who's photo states the well was on The Dale. The orientation would still be correct, with Laycocks possibly visible in the distance. But the 1897 National Library of Scotland interactive map doesn't show a stream by The Dale. 

Fraser Crescent well on the left, The Dale well on the right..

a9fd35ea-f23d-4b9e-a44f-b52c0445241a_zps

Im guessing that if the well was on The Dale then todays view of it would be this...

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-15%20at%2022.45.

Could there be any trace of the well amongst the trees behind that yellow grit bin?

4751bbf3-2b63-4d8f-a266-974b2296d425_zps

The Fraser Crescent view does look more in keeping with the old photo, but surely Picture Sheffield wouldn't say it was on The Dale if it wasn't?

Also, If the well was located on what is now Fraser Crescent, then this map shows a short footpath leading to it, with the stream to the right, which matches the old photo. The stream could well be running along the tree and fenced boundary line...

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-15%20at%2022.57.

Hollow.jpg.67bce99316e42af28690e85a7479d

Then of course there is the photo of the well taken from the opposite direction.

s04196_zpszkspa8zo.jpg

If it is on Fraser Crescent then the view would look like this today..

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-15%20at%2023.11.

The lay of the land looks correct, with the hillside to the left.

Fraser Crescent gets my vote 100% and such a pity that the probable location of Wild Well is now a bin for dog 'waste'

In fact, you could say that "Excrement marks the spot?!" lol

Wild Well_Fraser Crescent_Modern Street View.JPG

On 10/01/2017 at 15:28, St Annington said:

This map of the Lost Rivers of Sheffield seems to indicate that a river flowed across The Dale and downhill in the general direction of the stile (which is approximately just before where Fraser Drive is now?).  Is it logical that the well is actually just an opening in the ground somewhere adjacent the footpath allowing access to the underground stream? 

Lost Rivers.JPG

Sorry, I missed this post. If a stream did exist as shown in your map then the well could indeed have been located on The Dale.

I have to agree with RLongden about the well being located on Fraser Crescent!!

The map shows the stream winding its way down the hillside, the photo of the young man about to cross over the stream shows how steep the terrain is, crossing over the bridge here and turning right would lead down to the less steep location of the well .

The photograph of the two girls also shows the steep terrain above the well, at a guess i would say the photo`s were all staged(early 1900), by this time the well would be out of general use and most of the property`s in the vicinity, ie the cottages on the Dale would have a water supply.

Bridge Location.jpg

Wild Well Bridge.jpg

Willd Well 1900S.jpg

I don't know if it helps but I worked at Laycocks Archer Road 1966 - 72. What is now Perriwood Lane was Camping Lane then, the site of another Laycocks factory. If you came to work down Fraser Road you would turn up Camping Lane and park on the Camping Lane factory Car Park. Then there was a footpath from the corner of the car park through the woods to Archer Road that was used as communication between the two works. At the Fraser Road side of the footpath there was a stream some 3 feet below the level of the path. The stream went into a culvert just before reaching Archer road. If you look at the Google earth images there is a definite line in the foliage of the trees that are between Fraser Road and the houses that have been built on the Camping Lane site that would be where the footpath and stream was.

On 10/01/2017 at 14:01, RLongden said:

The other photo angle on PS shows the footpath and the lay of the land...

Wild Well - Alt' angle. Picture Sheffield

A little puzzled over the large house in the background, as nothing like that would be visible o/a that locale? Not Ivy House, different building shape altogether. More like Norton Hall or The Oaks, but too far away???

I also found this photograph of Norton Hollow, of a lad at a stile, over a stream. Note the hills in the background and the house on the horizon?

The well would probably be further up the hill, otherwise why would you need a well by the stream? You'd just dip your bucket in!

More digging around required on this one..... 

The Stile_Norton Hollow_Series 49.JPG

This image appears on Picture Sheffield but the caption states it is in Graves Park, with the stone with the two holes still being there today..

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07615&action=zoom&pos=10&id=10804&continueUrl=

'The bridge looks different now, but the stone with the two holes (just left of centre) is still there, if you go into Graves Park from the Cobnar Road entrance and walk down across the football fields diagonally down the hill and right down to the bottom corner, you will find it there.'

Although when they say the Cobnar Rd entrance to the park, I think they are referring to the top end of Cobnar Rd, junction with Derbyshire Lane/Hemsworth Rd by the pavilion. Walking across these football fields and diagonally down the hill puts it near to the old Packhorse bridge that still stands today, and somewhere near to the red X I've marked on this image. The two red dots indicate the other possible locations of Wild Well.

Its all getting rather confusing as Picture Sheffield states that Norton Hollow is located in Graves Park, yet Picture Sheffield also claims that Wild Well is on The Dale, Woodseats, yet the large building on the horizon suggests the well is on Fraser Crescent.

e575b1fd-cc76-4290-8760-312c57f80e5a_zps

Its a shame the above Photobucket images no longer show.

Heres a framed print of Norton Hollow by S Marsden that I came across..

s-l1600.jpg.a56716483f1efddab1e489737d3e321d.jpg

Apart from the stream running through the bottom of Barbers Field there was a fresh water spring coming out on the Woodseats Rd side of the stream, I don't think this was the Wild Well but would favour the Dale site.

On 10/01/2017 at 11:45, LeadFarmer said:

Anyone know where this wold have been? The postcard is titled Wild Well and located at Norton Hollow. Not entirely sure it is Norton in Sheffield.

Theres a large building top right, what would this be?

I live in Norton but have no idea where this would have been..

Hollow.jpg

Hope you don`t mind me resurrecting your Norton Hollow topic LeadFarmer!   I came across this Wild Well photograph, it clearly shows a building in the background. is this the Laycock Engineering Works on Archer Road? (now Sainsburys Supermarket)

Wild Well.png

Southside, you are more than welcome to carry on the conversation..

I think your image has been posted previously on this thread, but for me lots of the images have been removed as they were linked to my Photobucket account, who a few years ago suddenly turned off the ability to share images from users Photobucket accounts, lots of images on lots of websites were suddenly lost overnight when they flicked the 'off' switch !!!!

I think folk here do believe that building to be Laycocks (now Sainsbury's). One of the images you posted previously in this thread must be the same well but taken from the other side looking back..

587e0d2c32899_WilldWell1900S.jpg.e34b718ac2d7f71b782946ae11a6e7c8.jpg.ba390310e2b70502a5adfcbd8101e759.jpg

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Southside, you are more than welcome to carry on the conversation..

I think your image has been posted previously on this thread, but for me lots of the images have been removed as they were linked to my Photobucket account, who a few years ago suddenly turned off the ability to share images from users Photobucket accounts, lots of images on lots of websites were suddenly lost overnight when they flicked the 'off' switch !!!!

I think folk here do believe that building to be Laycocks (now Sainsbury's). One of the images you posted previously in this thread must be the same well but taken from the other side looking back..

587e0d2c32899_WilldWell1900S.jpg.e34b718ac2d7f71b782946ae11a6e7c8.jpg.ba390310e2b70502a5adfcbd8101e759.jpg

Hia, you are dead right!!   I have a pristine photo card image of the WILD WELL view looking down the path,

with the most clear view of Laycocks upper part on the skyline, which has been verified by my friend who

lives at Norton Lees. We have been down to the area, but it's difficult to access due to heavy undergrowth

and bushes.

There seems to be some 'confusion' with that one said to be at the bottom of Graves Park.

My friend knows the park very well, but she can't place it!! but doesn't think it's a well anyway, just a stream crossing.