Is there an architect in the house?

THYLACINE

I want to build one of these on my shed roof, it's sort of a skylight, I have seen them on old buildings such as hospitals but I don't know what they are called. I have googled skylights and dormer windows but they apparently are neither. I need some photographs or drawings. Can anyone put me on the right track?

skylight001.jpg

I believe they are called a "penthouse roof".  We have one at work which was added on to accommodate some equipment that was taller than the existing roof line.

Thank you, your suggestions are most helpful. At least I know what I'm looking for now. Photo's however are in short supply, I will keep looking.

Go to Google (maybe you'll need to use google.co.uk?) and use the search term 'lantern roof light'

Now select images. There's lots of photos to go at here, some that look remarkably like your sketch, albeit none on a shed! lol

Hope this is helpful as a starting point for your project? Good Luck!

IMG_2517.PNG

Thanks RLongden, it's amazing what is out there if you know where to look. Searching the site you suggested lead me to yet another structure called a cupola which is a more modest design than the lantern roof and one which I feel confident to attempt. I might even put a weather vane on top! Thanks again.

cupola.JPG

No problem and pleased that my suggestion sparked some other ideas. Good call on attempting a cupola, as it will probably be a better fit with the pitched roof on your shed (going by your earlier sketch?).

Regarding the weather vane; traditionally the top has a stylised image (an animal or the like) to catch the wind and the vane on top of the cross in Market Square, Woodhouse (where I grew up) was a fox.

Maybe you have some ideas on what to top your vane off with?...... some sort of tiger maybe? lol

Or a sniggering dog? (Muttley???)

Actually, I would use a black cockatoo they are a symbol of the district where we live, amazing birds. They fly down from the highlands, supposedly a harbinger of bad weather but that is just a myth. They come to eat the pine cones, they rip them apart with their incredibly strong beaks and leave the remains scattered on the ground. 

Yes I'm looking forward to this project, I'll post a photo when finished. Watch this space!

black cockatoo.jpg

Thanks St Annington, no, I had not seen it. I found it quite interesting that the cupolas in the link you provided had louvre vents and the one in my photo had windows. So it appears that a cupola can be for light or ventilation. 

Well, back in January I promised to post photographs of the aforementioned cupola. At that time, work on my 'studio' was progressing well, stone wall & chimney, porthole window, new interior, carpet, electrics etc etc. I started buying materials for the cupola (see photo) which was to be the crowning feature. Then on May 13th I suffered a slight setback, as you can see from the selfie I took !! Thank goodness it was my left hand, I can still paint, draw, write and eventually complete the work I have started. It's been almost 4 months since D-Day (digit day) I have re-commenced the stonework and completed a few minor projects since then. Be assured the cupola will be built and I will be happy to post a picture when it happens.

DSCF4452.JPG

DSCF4453.JPG

DSCF4456.JPG

DSCF4459.JPG

DSCF4460.JPG

Hi Thylacine,

Sorry to be late to the party. This summer we stayed for a couple of weeks in an apartment in Northumberland, a conversion in an older building (dated 1887). On top there’s a 4-sided viewing tower (so 360* views); see Google Streetview pic. There’s a little staircase going up to it from the 2nd floor, and enough room to sit and have drink and take in the views (when it was built it would have looked right over Alnwick Gardens). The building was the home of an artist after it was first built, that must have been a great place to paint!

We were told the structure is called a ‘Belvedere’.

A6409A23-945B-4F43-8A82-5371F9D104FE.jpeg