The Barley Corn Hotel

Sheffield History

The Barley Corn Sheffield.jpg

Anyone remember The Barley Corn Hotel?

I know literally nothing about it but I'm taking that it was a pub right?

It's a real shame there's not a pub open on this site given how long one has been sited there.

did the barleycoen have a similar layout to henrys or was it completely changed if anyone can remember? 

I never went in Henry's but the Barleycorn's  layout was a central bar area, toilets at the rear, Lounge to the left, tap room to the right, with a raised area at the back for bands and DJs, jukebox at the back of the tap room near the air hockey table/Pong console. It was solid on a Saturday night, elbows tucked in, with glass positioned so you could get it to your mouth.

This article for the Star in 1974 followed the reporter's visit on a Thursday night.  I only used to go Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  From the left the lads I can remember names for are:

2. Kev Newton (Killamarsh) 7. Colin Ridsdale (Wadsley) 9. D ick Bentley (Killamarsh) 10. Phil Watson (Sharrow)

Barleycorn 1974.jpg

Barleycorn 1974_2.jpg

Used to have reputation as a pick up place for prostitutes in 50s & 60s if I remember correctly. 

Not that I ever tried though.

The Barleycorn was prominent in the 1920's as a city centre pub frequented by members of the two "Sheffield Gangs" and features in the book Sheffield Gang Wars. During the Sheffield Gang wars - the Landlord whose name escapes me for the moment was a well known and well respected boxer. He was involved in a fracas with members of one of the gangs. 

My Grandfather - Charles William Sutcliffe was Landlord there between 1928 & 1932 before he moved to The Queen Adelaide on Bramall Lane. It's never been clear whether at that time the pub was Brewery owned, or owned outright.

My Great Grandfather - William Sutcliffe owned pubs in Sheffield between 1893 and 1912 and it is believed that he taught my grandfather the licensed trade prior to him taking over the Barleycorn.

In the 60's it was best known for it's *** bar staff especially a lad called Shirley, who was hilarious but was not to be messed with.

I recently visited a friend's house and he showed me his 1957 Wurtlitzer jukebox.  After interesting discussions, he lent me a book "Jukebox Saturday Night" by J. Krivine (1977). There is a chapter on English operations, and an interview with William Smith who operated the largest jukebox route in the world - 1500 machines in the north and midlands. On page 136 he says:

"In 1956 -7, no brewery would consider having a juke box in a pub.  Today, there is nothing worth considering except the breweries. Cafes and clubs are not worth a light nowadays.  Eventually we persuaded Whitbreads of Sheffield - that was the breakthrough.  The first one we got was a very busy working-class pub called the Barley Corn.  Mr. Tushingham and I walked in with the juke box and the manager was there waiting for us.  But there was Sam and Lill, two awful entertainers. Well, we walked in with the juke box and their faces fell a mile when they saw it. We installed it and walked out. We learned later that they didn't perform there any more because everyone wanted to listen to the juke box. It was a novelty in a pub.  A week later, we spoke to Whitbread's; they said "Yes, it's going well, we'll try another, have a look at Lady's Bridge."  We arrived one evening - it was all evening work - and there were Sam and Lill doing their turn, you see. We wheeled the juke box in and they were out of a job again.  Then we went to a third Whitbread pub to install a third juke box and there was Sam and Lill again.  We did this at four pubs chasing Sam and Lill out.  I don't know what happened to them - I've always felt sorry for this rather aged couple ..."

The Barleycorn Hotel, 38 Cambridge Street (Coalpit Lane), opened 1795 closed 1988.

t10201.jpg.3ddb8c639743b53bcd603e4ad2f7c606.jpg

t19201

The name refers to the cereal plant commonly used to make malt liquors and personified by John Barleycorn, referred to by writers Walter Scott, Robbie Burns and Nathaniel Hawthorne. There is an old ballad about him in which he is described as of "noble blood, well beloved in England, a great supporter of the Crown and maintainer of both rich and poor." 

Info from The definitive A to Z listing of Sheffield Public Houses by Michael Liversidge. 

https://www.epoch-magazine.com/post/john-barleycorn-must-die

Includes link to "John Barleycorn" by Traffic.

https://storyarchaeology.com/john-barleycorn/

https://www.learnreligions.com/the-legend-of-john-barleycorn-2562157

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barleycorn

The Barleycorn was a town pub with something of a reputation. As a young drinker it was a rite of passage to brag to one’s peers that you had actually been inside and had a pint.

9 hours ago, Edmund said:

I recently visited a friend's house and he showed me his 1957 Wurtlitzer jukebox.  After interesting discussions, he lent me a book "Jukebox Saturday Night" by J. Krivine (1977). There is a chapter on English operations, and an interview with William Smith who operated the largest jukebox route in the world - 1500 machines in the north and midlands. On page 136 he says:

"In 1956 -7, no brewery would consider having a juke box in a pub.  Today, there is nothing worth considering except the breweries. Cafes and clubs are not worth a light nowadays.  Eventually we persuaded Whitbreads of Sheffield - that was the breakthrough.  The first one we got was a very busy working-class pub called the Barley Corn.  Mr. Tushingham and I walked in with the juke box and the manager was there waiting for us.  But there was Sam and Lill, two awful entertainers. Well, we walked in with the juke box and their faces fell a mile when they saw it. We installed it and walked out. We learned later that they didn't perform there any more because everyone wanted to listen to the juke box. It was a novelty in a pub.  A week later, we spoke to Whitbread's; they said "Yes, it's going well, we'll try another, have a look at Lady's Bridge."  We arrived one evening - it was all evening work - and there were Sam and Lill doing their turn, you see. We wheeled the juke box in and they were out of a job again.  Then we went to a third Whitbread pub to install a third juke box and there was Sam and Lill again.  We did this at four pubs chasing Sam and Lill out.  I don't know what happened to them - I've always felt sorry for this rather aged couple ..."

Sam & Lil carried on working until at least 1974, when they were entertaining at the Manor Hotel, Fretson Rd.

Incidentally, my grandma worked as  glasswasher at the Barleycorn after leaving the Athol Hotel nearby.  She was quite happy there so it can't have been too bad.

I have had a few drinks there, on occasions,  as at the Athol, (and just about every other pub in town),  but didn't know it well.

I went in once or twice, the last pub I can remember that still had spitoons on the floor.