The gardens outside Co-Op House on Angel Street / Snig Hill

Sheffield History

ABC Cinema Sheffield.jpg 

Great photo here of the gardens outside the co-op house on Angel Street / Snig Hill in Sheffield.

Forgot this existed!

Also - check out the shops across the road next to the ABC Cinema - do you remember any of those?

I'd forgotten about these gardens too. I also just remembered a chestnut seller who, I think, used to stand below Castle Street on the corner - loved the aroma of the roast chestnuts.  I recognise the names of the shops but not what they sold - not very helpful I'm afraid. :) 

'None But The Brave' is showing at the ABC, which makes the Year 1965

WH Curtis was another of our record store chains that disappeared without trace 

WH Curtis

Not sure about the shop below (Sanders?) so will need to update here when found

Wonder what the story is, with the well dressed couple, stood in front of the big white (caddy-like) saloon car, with the boy in short pants trailing behind? 

She in the smart off-the-shoulder frock and he in the sharp suit, it looks like he has his hand on the car roof, posing for a photo?

at least that's how the scene looks to me?....

My take on the picture is that the lady is taking a photograph of something down the hill whilst the little boy is waiting , patiently. The saloon car is an American import...not too many of them around in 1965. 

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

Not sure about the shop below (Sanders?) so will need to update here when found

A J Sanders (Sheffield) Ltd., carpet dealers.

And below them: Figurama Health Studios Ltd.

After doing some research, I think the 'caddy-like' car is actually a Ford Mercury Comet Mk1. Produced between 1960 to 1963 and although the photo is a little grainy, several of the features seem to match well, such as:

Shape of wheel arches, size and shape of windows, thickness and detail on C pillar, shape of rear fins, front wing emblems, coach line and detailing on front and rear flanks...

I've added some photos and links for reference, so if this is a Ford Mercury, the clever bit will be to try and find any documented records of its owner(s) and existence in Sheffield - besides this photo!

Wiki - Ford Mercury Comet

A Picture Review of The Ford Motor Company From 1959 to 1964

IMG_2519.PNG

IMG_2520.PNG

IMG_2522.PNG