SUGG SPORT on Pinstone Street

Sheffield History

Sugg Sport Sheffield.jpg

Here's a terrific photo of Sugg Sport on Pinstone Street in Sheffield which also shows an interesting tunnel/passageway that I'm guessing is now long gone.

Also in the photo you'll notice the house of Barney Goodman and also a Vidor batteries delivery van

What do you know/remember of these places?

5 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Sugg Sport Sheffield.jpg

Here's a terrific photo of Sugg Sport on Pinstone Street in Sheffield which also shows an interesting tunnel/passageway that I'm guessing is now long gone.

Also in the photo you'll notice the house of Barney Goodman and also a Vidor batteries delivery van

Could I just refer back to this link on this site ''Cambridge Arcade'' , perhaps they could be merged for members to add new detail , this thread caused a bit of disagreement but I only remember the one on Pinstone Street in your picture above.

On 31/12/2016 at 15:53, Sheffield History said:

Sugg Sport Sheffield.jpg

Used to buy from Suggs,  also had a girlfriend that worked there.

Bought a second hand wooden shafted golf club with their name on at a market in France and few years back.

I used to buy all my sports equipment from Suggs...both here and later at their new premises on the Moor. Any man worth his salt aspired to own a "Barney" with it distinctive cut ....especially the shoulders ....and despite them costing a little more than your "Weaver to Wearer", "John Collier", "Hepworth's " or "Burton's" offering they were distinctive, didn't develop shiney backsides and lasted for ever.-_-

They used to have a shop on Bramall Lane - went in to buy studs for my football boots, they were kept in a sweet jar. In the 1960s they advertised in United match day programs as United's kit suppliers

Bought my first Wednesday scarf from Suggs before it moved down the street, had to go to the top floor to get it...cost me nineteen & threepence which I'd saved up from a paper round....still have it, in good nick annall.

Later when it moved down the street my now wife used to work there, great shop, some of the famous people she met in there include Tommy Cooper, Sherpa Tenzing, some bloke from the Carry On films, can't remember his name, Seb Coe & Steve Davis...she sold Davis a new pair of trainers, she got him to sign his old ones, which were like brand new which we still have, it was the year(1982)he lost to Tony Knowles 10-1 in the first round, after he'd won it the year before.....he wrote 'Steve Davis was here' on them, to which she replied, "not for long this year though eh", he took it in good spirit.

Side note to the trainers...I wore them to play snooker in twice for my club team, lost both times...can only assume they are  rubbish for playing snooker in...or summat like that.

On 03/09/2017 at 15:22, glencheney said:

They used to have a shop on Bramall Lane - went in to buy studs for my football boots, they were kept in a sweet jar. In the 1960s they advertised in United match day programs as United's kit suppliers

I think this shop was an independent sports shop - Jack Archer (??) comes to mind, but this might be wrong. The guy that ran it was great at getting screw-in studs out when you’d worn them flat!!!

I loved Suggs when I was a kid in the 80s.

My dad used to take me in and we used to look at the kits and the boots and that.

got my first pair of boots in there and my dad bought me some dubbin to go with them!

On 11/17/2017 at 04:47, sheffworker said:

I think this shop was an independent sports shop - Jack Archer (??) comes to mind, but this might be wrong. The guy that ran it was great at getting screw-in studs out when you’d worn them flat!!!

It was definitely Archers, best sports shop in Sheffield, ever..........there was nothing that bloke didn't have, it was like the Tardis, you could hardly move in there but it was great.

Suggs used to sell fireworks upstairs near bonfire night. You bought them individually from a glass cabinet.  My dada had a suit made at Barney Goodman's here and I remember going for a fitting with him in the early 1960's. There was a blind man who sold matches outside and my dad said Barney Goodman often used to pop a ten bob note into his top pocket. 

On 31/12/2016 at 15:53, Sheffield History said:

Sugg Sport Sheffield.jpg

There was a barbers shop down the arcade on the right. Had a David Bowie haircut there; think it was called Sweeny Todd’s.

18 hours ago, Jane Marshall said:

Suggs used to sell fireworks upstairs near bonfire night. You bought them individually from a glass cabinet.  My dada had a suit made at Barney Goodman's here and I remember going for a fitting with him in the early 1960's. There was a blind man who sold matches outside and my dad said Barney Goodman often used to pop a ten bob note into his top pocket. 

Barney Goodman was famed for his De Mob suits for service men. About 50 shillings I believe.

On 25/11/2017 at 20:19, Keith Maddock said:

That Arcade ran from Pinstone Street through to Union Street.

Yes, but back then, Union Street was still called Norfolk Street, as Norfolk Street had not yet been cut in half by the new Town Hall building.

Does anyone know the year that Suggs moved a few yards higher up Pinstone Street, to the new premises on the corner?

I have to correct you there Craigio, as Norfolk St runs up to Charles St then it becomes Union St.  and the  ''Egg Box'' didn't alter that then and it's still the same now. I can't remember all the  SUGGS shops they seem to have them all over the place over the years.

19 hours ago, Keith Maddock said:

I have to correct you there Craigio, as Norfolk St runs up to Charles St then it becomes Union St.  and the  ''Egg Box'' didn't alter that then and it's still the same now. I can't remember all the  SUGGS shops they seem to have them all over the place over the years.

Reluctantly, I have to agree.

In the mid 70s, my bus home from school went up Furnival Gate, past Redgates, and following the new Town Hall being built, along with those new office blocks around Furnival Square, I distinctly remember a Union Street sign appearing on the corner, where previously there had been no sign.  I always thought it was a new street name.

I'm surprised I didn't know it was always Union Street, I knew every nook & cranny of the City Centre in my early teens.

22 hours ago, Craigio said:

Does anyone know the year that Suggs moved a few yards higher up Pinstone Street, to the new premises on the corner? 

I think that was 1976, prior to demolition which I think was 77.

On 14/01/2019 at 18:06, Keith Maddock said:

I'm not doubting you, but it seems extremely strange to me that this very short section of road should still be called Norfolk Street after it had been amputated from the other end of Norfolk Street.  I suppose the businesses would not have been happy at having to change their addresses and stationery etc.

Is it still Norfolk Street today?

Union_St_s24328.jpg

I worked on Union Street in769673143_WilksTravelService.thumb.png.4fcab2e710b97bbea92a5ce3b5d9cd80.png 1965 and have never known it called anything else Here's a lablel from the travel agency I worked at.