Remember when The Moor allowed cars up and down it?

Sheffield History

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

This one is for any younger readers of ours who might not know that The Moor once was a normal road that had traffic travelling up and down it all day long!

The photo shows cars and buses heading up the moor and you can clearly see Sheffield Town hall at the top of the photo

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

This one reminds me of Saturday afternoons in the late 1970s when I would go to Hillsborough with my father. After the game we would drive down the moor to pick my sister up outside BHS where she had a Saturday job. Sometimes my mum would be waiting as well if she had decided to do some Saturday afternoon shopping.

I loved it because of all the buses, having been a bus enthusiast since my early years.

Wouldn't dream of doing that now, even if traffic was still allowed on The Moor!

Some things don't change, though: Atkinsons is still there, and I did much of my Christmas shopping in there on Christmas Eve this year :o :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

This one is for any younger readers of ours who might not know that The Moor once was a normal road that had traffic travelling up and down it all day long!

The photo shows cars and buses heading up the moor and you can clearly see Sheffield Town hall at the top of the photo

A Ford Corsair! The first of my father's cars which I was aware of, although it was a few years younger than the one in this picture. It probably seemed slick and modern at the time with all the chrome.

I can't remember much else about it apart from being upset when he traded it in for a Ford Granada which was bigger and supposedly comfier, but which caused me to be travel sick quite often.

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

This one reminds me of Saturday afternoons in the late 1970s when I would go to Hillsborough with my father. After the game we would drive down the moor to pick my sister up outside BHS where she had a Saturday job. Sometimes my mum would be waiting as well if she had decided to do some Saturday afternoon shopping.

I loved it because of all the buses, having been a bus enthusiast since my early years.

Wouldn't dream of doing that now, even if traffic was still allowed on The Moor!

Some things don't change, though: Atkinsons is still there, and I did much of my Christmas shopping in there on Christmas Eve this year :o :rolleyes:

I worked back loaders up and down The Moor both as a conductor and a driver. I thought we had a brilliant traffic system at that time with straight roads through town and past the main shops.

At busy time (most times) we were only trundling along through town but this suited both crews and passengers as they could often jump off in front of the shop they wanted or at the traffic lights.

Apart from unusual occasions we did not seem to have problems keeping to time but that seemed harder and harder as they altered the road layouts and before I left we were flying about too fast for me but with far fewer passengers.

7 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

The Moor Sheffield.jpg

corsair 1964

Oh dear! Thanks for reminding me just how old I am:o  My memories of The Moor go even further back and  when this picture was taken I had lived away from Sheffield for many years so Trams dominated then!  The Corsair was just like one my father bought new in 1965, sadly the car was written- off when a lorry ignored a Red traffic light and hit it midships.

I bet our current crop of Council leaders would love to see the Moor becoming as busy as it once was before "progress" took place.

I don't remember the flats at the bottom of the Moor. Presumably that's where the Brick building is now? That was city centre living before it was invented.

58 minutes ago, PatrickDolan1 said:

I don't remember the flats at the bottom of the Moor. Presumably that's where the Brick building is now? That was city centre living before it was invented.

The perspective of the photo is a little deceiving, as the flats in the photo are still there on Leverton Drive. I've had my crayons out and will try to show the old and new views. The new view is a little closer, as the Manpower Services Building (or whatever it is these days) is in the way.

The red circles are what was Barclays Bank and is now the Chinese Forework Co. on London Road

The blue circles are the building that was Robert Brady's, but now a Thai restarant I think, on the corner of Cemetery Road and St. Mary's Gate

The green circles are the same block of flats, albeit from a slightly different angle and the new photo shows the blocks have been re-clad

If it weren't for the Chinese Firework Co. building, I would have thought the flats were on the site of the MSC 'the Brick building'?!

What's the date of the photo? 1974-75? It can't be any older, as the bus and Audi 100 on the right of the photo, outside Robert's are both 'N' reg.

Leverton Drive Flats_1974.JPG

Leverton Drive Flats_New.JPG