Great photo of Pond Street in Sheffield as it used to be

Sheffield History

Are those steps we can see in the middle of that first photo the forerunners of that steep set of steps that used to run from Pond Street up to the Lyceum?

1 hour ago, S24 said:

Are those steps we can see in the middle of that first photo the forerunners of that steep set of steps that used to run from Pond Street up to the Lyceum?

Possibly - I seem to remember something pretty nasty round there in the 80's and public rights of way tend to get retained over the centuries

Left hand image, I think the gennel is next to the letter N in Pond / right hand image crosshairs point to the modern position

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 16.16.19.png

1 hour ago, S24 said:

Think you can also see it here - grid 357 / 872

Map_4_watermark__upload.jpg

If the accompanying text to the photo is correct "Workman's Boarding House No. 78, 80, 82, Pond Street. Court No. 10, at rear, left"?
Then I would say, those are not the steps that lead to the Lyceum, this map 'circa 1891' shows court No.10 Pond Street, I have also marked the steps in question.

ct.10and steps_pond_st_c.1891_.jpg

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/435699/386820/13/100453

White's directory, published 1901.

pond st_west side_1901.jpg

Yes, the red line you have marked is where the steps were, although, they were in a straight line, all the way up to the (then) back of the Lyceum.... marked in your map as Grand Circus. The number of times I have raced up those steps, after getting off my bus in Pond Street, in order to get to the Gaumont, Cinema House,Hippodrome,Palace,etc, in time for the start of the picture.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S24 said:

Yes, the red line you have marked is where the steps were, although, they were in a straight line, all the way up to the (then) back of the Lyceum.... marked in your map as Grand Circus. The number of times I have raced up those steps, after getting off my bus in Pond Street, in order to get to the Gaumont, Cinema House,Hippodrome,Palace,etc, in time for the start of the picture.

I always seemed to be in the reverse situation. I’d get to the top of the steps after being in town and see the no 45 Totley bus stood at the stop and hurtle down the steps and across Pond St so as not to miss it.

On 03/08/2019 at 17:42, SteveHB said:

If the accompanying text to the photo is correct "Workman's Boarding House No. 78, 80, 82, Pond Street. Court No. 10, at rear, left"?
Then I would say, those are not the steps that lead to the Lyceum, this map 'circa 1891' shows court No.10 Pond Street, I have also marked the steps in question.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/435699/386820/13/100453

White's Click to choose files directory, published 1901.

Yes the top picture buildings seem to match the yellow, as does the path.

Great thread btw, not seen any of these before in books.

Always interesting to read people's professions too in this post!

'Horse slaughterer' - what would that be called now?

and living next door or so, to a hay and straw dealer.

On 03/08/2019 at 18:26, S24 said:

I recall walking up and down them many times in the fifties and they certainly had a dog - leg in them halfway down (or up).

The corporation had used surplus "wavy tin" sheeting left over from Anderson Shelters, The sections that form the bits on each side of the entrance door, to make fences/walls on each side of the path, These were erected with the angled edges facing upwards presenting a sharp saw-tooth appearance to the fence top. I recall seeing a photo somewhere, probably on Picture Sheffield.

4 hours ago, hilldweller said:

I recall walking up and down them many times in the fifties and they certainly had a dog - leg in them halfway down (or up).

The corporation had used surplus "wavy tin" sheeting left over from Anderson Shelters, The sections that form the bits on each side of the entrance door, to make fences/walls on each side of the path, These were erected with the angled edges facing upwards presenting a sharp saw-tooth appearance to the fence top. I recall seeing a photo somewhere, probably on Picture Sheffield.

I was going to say something similar but thought I may have been mistaken, your description really jogged my memory, I also walked up the steps at least once a week for many years, often from the bus station to my favourite pub, the Adelphi, until both the steps and pub vanished. Early map here, but it does show the steps with a dogs-leg.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=53.3806&lon=-1.4656&layers=168&b=1

steps_pond_street_arundal_lane.png

22 hours ago, hilldweller said:

I've not managed to find the photo of the "wavy tin"  fenced steps but I have managed to find a photo on Picture Sheffield that I think shows the landing at the "dog-leg".

I think the photographer is stood at the top of the bottom set of steps looking towards the top steps which lead upwards to the right from the end of the landing.

The railing must have been erected when the building on the low side was demolished.

The other picture must be in one of the many Sheffield books I possess and is probably copyright anyway.

hilldweller

Postscript

I've just found an example of the "sawtooth2 wavy tin on another Picture Sheffield photo No. S18827.

This shows the same Anderson shelter material used as a fence to Pond Street during the College of Technology extensions

hilldweller

S18827.GIF.4a8d78881f1154519a817c7b8df92b50.GIFS15871.GIF

On 04/09/2019 at 11:37, hilldweller said:

I've not managed to find the photo of the "wavy tin"  fenced steps but I have managed to find a photo on Picture Sheffield that I think shows the landing at the "dog-leg".

I think the photographer is stood at the top of the bottom set of steps looking towards the top steps which lead upwards to the right from the end of the landing.

The railing must have been erected when the building on the low side was demolished.

The other picture must be in one of the many Sheffield books I possess and is probably copyright anyway.

hilldweller

Postscript

I've just found an example of the "sawtooth2 wavy tin on another Picture Sheffield photo No. S18827.

This shows the same Anderson shelter material used as a fence to Pond Street during the College of Technology extensions

hilldweller

S18827.GIF.4a8d78881f1154519a817c7b8df92b50.GIFS15871.GIF

As you were !

I've had a re-thunk and think that the landing shown is much closer to Flat Street.

The relative position of the bus station doesn't make sense.

I think that the stairway is located at the far end of the gardens where the advertising hoardings are located.

I've found a much earlier photo which, I think the, shows the bottom part of the steps.

It shows the cleared area to the north to be the site of Court 16 which I think became the garden.

Capture.PNG.5c31426d20b01692dd038a6f1f32f4ac.PNG

Steps.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hilldweller said:

I think that the stairway is located at the far end of the gardens where the advertising hoardings are located.

I think you are right there, but if that is the case I can't work out what that other landing with the railings is.  I seem to remember the steps being almost opposite the 71 stand when the new bus station was built. There was a zebra crossing at one time and when you crossed it you had to go a bit to the left for the steps. The area changed so many times and so quickly it's hard to remember but is this the steps and landing on this photo' ?

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15872&pos=44&action=zoom&id=18623

steps.png

1946_pond_street.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, boginspro said:

I think you are right there, but if that is the case I can't work out what that other landing with the railings is.  I seem to remember the steps being almost opposite the 71 stand when the new bus station was built. There was a zebra crossing at one time and when you crossed it you had to go a bit to the left for the steps. The area changed so many times and so quickly it's hard to remember but is this the steps and landing on this photo' ?

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15872&pos=44&action=zoom&id=18623

steps.png

1946_pond_street.jpg

I think I've identified the mysterious railings and platform. I think that they are at the front/rear of the building to the immediate top of the garden area and directly across from the telephone call box on the bus station.

If you study the 1950's map carefully there seems to be a small area that faces onto Pond Street. I'm afraid my editing capabilities aren't up to placing an arrow on a copy of the map.

Sorry about the "wild goose chase"

hilldweller

• Like 2