Sheffield History

Great photo of Pond Street in Sheffield as it used to be

Pond Street Sheffield.jpg

Workman's Boarding House No. 78, 80, 82, Pond Street. Court No. 10, at rear, left

• Like 1

Are those steps we can see in the middle of that first photo the forerunners of that steep set of steps that used to run from Pond Street up to the Lyceum?

1 hour ago, S24 said:

Are those steps we can see in the middle of that first photo the forerunners of that steep set of steps that used to run from Pond Street up to the Lyceum?

Possibly - I seem to remember something pretty nasty round there in the 80's and public rights of way tend to get retained over the centuries

Left hand image, I think the gennel is next to the letter N in Pond / right hand image crosshairs point to the modern position

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 16.16.19.png

1 hour ago, S24 said:

Think you can also see it here - grid 357 / 872

Map_4_watermark__upload.jpg

If the accompanying text to the photo is correct "Workman's Boarding House No. 78, 80, 82, Pond Street. Court No. 10, at rear, left"?
Then I would say, those are not the steps that lead to the Lyceum, this map 'circa 1891' shows court No.10 Pond Street, I have also marked the steps in question.

ct.10and steps_pond_st_c.1891_.jpg

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/435699/386820/13/100453

White's directory, published 1901.

pond st_west side_1901.jpg

Yes, the red line you have marked is where the steps were, although, they were in a straight line, all the way up to the (then) back of the Lyceum.... marked in your map as Grand Circus. The number of times I have raced up those steps, after getting off my bus in Pond Street, in order to get to the Gaumont, Cinema House,Hippodrome,Palace,etc, in time for the start of the picture.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S24 said:

Yes, the red line you have marked is where the steps were, although, they were in a straight line, all the way up to the (then) back of the Lyceum.... marked in your map as Grand Circus. The number of times I have raced up those steps, after getting off my bus in Pond Street, in order to get to the Gaumont, Cinema House,Hippodrome,Palace,etc, in time for the start of the picture.

I always seemed to be in the reverse situation. I’d get to the top of the steps after being in town and see the no 45 Totley bus stood at the stop and hurtle down the steps and across Pond St so as not to miss it.

I think I usually did the Norfolk Street/Flat Street route coming back. Not quite in such a hurry.

On 03/08/2019 at 17:42, SteveHB said:

If the accompanying text to the photo is correct "Workman's Boarding House No. 78, 80, 82, Pond Street. Court No. 10, at rear, left"?
Then I would say, those are not the steps that lead to the Lyceum, this map 'circa 1891' shows court No.10 Pond Street, I have also marked the steps in question.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/435699/386820/13/100453

White's Click to choose files directory, published 1901.

Yes the top picture buildings seem to match the yellow, as does the path.

Great thread btw, not seen any of these before in books.

Always interesting to read people's professions too in this post!

'Horse slaughterer' - what would that be called now?

and living next door or so, to a hay and straw dealer.