Corporal/Sergeant John DALE, Yorks Light Infantry

emo924

I am currently researching :

Corporal / Sergeant 4661 John DALE of the Yorkshire Light Infantry.

John's picture appears in the book : SHEFFIELD AT THE FRONT - in that image he can be seen proudly wearing his India General Service Medal which he earned in 1897/8.

He went on to serve in the Boer War thus earning further medals - the Queen's and King's South Africa Medals. He was taken prisoner by the Boers in December 1900 at Nooitgedacht being released later.

His service papers have not survived it seems so once more I have been trawling the other available records.  I believe I have potentially identified him as the John Dale who was born in Sheffield circa 1875. He appears on the census for 1881/1891 and 1911 but not 1901 when, if it is the right man, he would have been serving in South Africa. This John  Dale was married in1905 to Rosa Annie Marsh. The marriage certificate (a copy of which I have) suggests that at this time John was a 'Policeman'. However, by 1911, he had clearly left the service and was working as a 'Municipal Museum Attendant'.

He died in 1949 and is buried in Crookes Cemetery ( I haven't as yet had chance to go and find the headstone)

What I am endeavouring to establish, in the absence of Army records, is if the John Dale I have found is the same man who served in the Army as described.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

OOOOooooooooooooh those missing Yorkshire Light Infantry(KO) records.

I have tried all my means of searching and nowt's come up, sorry.

Cheers Roger