The Bell Pub, Fitzalan Square

Sheffield History

post-1084-1224316517.jpg

Hoping someone can help us out here. We're looking for anyone that might have gone in the THE BELL pub in Fitzalan Square. It looks like it was a Tetleys pub.

Anyone go in there? If so can you describe it to us? What was it like inside? Who went in?

Was it mostly a pre-cinema drinking place?

8 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

post-1084-1224316517.jpg

Hoping someone can help us out here. We're looking for anyone that might have gone in the THE BELL pub in Fitzalan Square. It looks like it was a Tetleys pub.

Anyone go in there? If so can you describe it to us? What was it like inside? Who went in?

Long time ago but from memory It was a good and busy pub in the 60's, a long narrow pub with a function/concert room right at the back and served a good pint of Tetleys. Not just people going next door to the pictures, a lot of people would come into town on public transport and meet up in The Square or by the kiosk on Pond Street so The Bell or The Elephant were often the first call.

5 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Awesome thank you

Whereabouts was The Elephant? 

Elephant was where Norfolk Street met the square, (the bottom part of Norfolk Street is now called Esperanto Place), I am not very good at explanations so here is a map  (c) NLS    ----------          http://maps.nls.uk/view/100950071

fitzalan_square.png

Ah awesome thank you so much

I'd not heard of that place before 

Next step is trying to find a photo of it!

On 23/11/2016 at 16:55, Sheffield History said:

Awesome thank you

It was on the corner where Halfords was in fitzalan square.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:55, Sheffield History said:

Awesome thank you

The 'Elephant' (Tennant's later Whitbread's) was across Fitzalan Square from the 'Bell'. the old 'Odeon' cinema was next to it.

The Bell pub building is still there in Fizalan Square between an amusement arcade and Corals bookmakers. Would be interesting to see inside/upstairs

bell.JPG

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎23 at 11:55, Sheffield History said:

Awesome thank you

Whereabouts was The Elephant?  Corner of Flat St. diagonally opposite the main post office building. it was also facing the Odeon across that small side street where the Odeon entrance was, can't remember the side street name though.

My Father used to frequent both of these pubs when he was in CID late 1940s and early 1950s as they were good sources of information.

On 23/11/2016 at 08:30, Sheffield History said:

post-1084-1224316517.jpg

I used to drink in the bell in the 60's. Quite a busy little house both noon and night and sold a good pint. Didn't need to rely on the cinema for trade - a lot of the customers were too far gone to watch a film by the time they left. 

There was a piano and sound system in the back concert room and a good friend of mine called Bill Hogan played the piano and sang there. Club comedian & singer, Ronnie Delta often came up from the Travellers on the Moor, where he had a residency, and joined in the fun and we had some hilarious times. I know the landlords name but can't bring it to mind at the moment. I think this landlord previously kept the Mucky Duck in the 50's.

The Bell is now flats unfortunately and as for the Elephant my mates and myself went there every night of the week for a few years. I also noticed last week that the Hare and Hounds has been demolished under the guise of it being unsafe.

When I was in my teens in the late 50s, I used to play in a skiffle group working the Sheffield Clubs. We always finished late and arrived in Fitzalan Square close to midnight to catch the last bus home. Any punter that came out out of The Bell horizontally, was immediately grabbed by the Police Sargent that looked after The Square. He was quite short but could pick up two men one under each arm where he would ceremoniously handcuff them to the railings outside the Police Box. There they would remain until the last bus pulled out of the Square.

2 hours ago, PEN62 said:

When I was in my teens in the late 50s, I used to play in a skiffle group working the Sheffield Clubs. We always finished late and arrived in Fitzalan Square close to midnight to catch the last bus home. Any punter that came out out of The Bell horizontally, was immediately grabbed by the Police Sargent that looked after The Square. He was quite short but could pick up two men one under each arm where he would ceremoniously handcuff them to the railings outside the Police Box. There they would remain until the last bus pulled out of the Square.

ha ha that's amazing!!

I'd love to see that happen nowadays!

hehe

Bell Pub Fitzalan Square Sheffield.jpg

Great photo of The Bell pub in Fitzalan Square

Can also see Wigfalls in the background next to the old post office building!

This photo from 1916/17 shows the Bell pub I think. The tank is selling war bonds to raise funds for The Great War. The cinema is called the Electra at this time.

5a92a35ea6d9b_TankSheffield19162.jpg.fd20228e001b6a0ff87a637596573339.jpg

98213917_3586598608033349_5331802281341878272_o.jpg

The Bell Hotel pub in Fitzalan Square, pictured between the Classic Cinema and the Sleep Shop in 1971
Notice also the yellow bin outside the cinema - Sheffield used to have loads of those!

• Like 1

I think David Mellor designed those bins, there's one on display in his "Street scene" at the Hathersage factory.

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

I think David Mellor designed those bins, there's one on display in his "Street scene" at the Hathersage factory.

That`s right Edmund, I worked there for ten terrible years and his design skills left him , he modified other peoples designs and claimed them as his. One of his biggest sellers is the Paris cutlery design, this actually designed by a girl student from Scandinavia, she hand filed a knife and spoon out of bar copper, I polished for her, she then had to return home, within six months Mellors were producing it, the young student got in touch the year later asking if she could return for six months but she was told "its not possible at the moment", when his Alzheimer's kicked in he designed the London range which was too heavy and to flat, it was a very childish design,  

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

The Bell Hotel pub in Fitzalan Square, pictured between the Classic Cinema and the Sleep Shop in 1971
Notice also the yellow bin outside the cinema - Sheffield used to have loads of those!

If you look closely at the design over the first floor windows you can see they are bells on top of each other.

The Bell.jpg

On 15/05/2020 at 10:00, Sheffield History said:

Also a *** machine