Kiki's Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Need some help finding as much detail as possible about Kiki's nightclub that used to be in Sheffield

Anyone know where it was and does anyone have any photos? Post below if you can help...

Kikis was in charter square and I believe is still a nightclub or was until recently.

it was on the corner on the opposite side of the roundabout to Debenhams.

the same row of units has had a few bars on it over the years none of which have done great really, the matrix was one, Mercedes which was a strip club and a sport based strip bar most recently.

Kiki's was a major part of my formative years.

I was underneath the NCP Wellington Street car park, which itself was under/incorporated into the 14 story BT Telecom House building (now the Strada student accommodation).

Kiki's had two rooms. The main room had a capacity of around 600, with a side room that could take 120 (I know this specifically, as explained below). It was also connected via a staircase to the club upstairs.....known as Occasions at the time. Although they normally operated as separate clubs there were times when a single club night occupied both clubs. Occasions became the Fez club sometime around 1998. Kiki's also changed names (can't remember what to), and both were redeveloped under a Moroccan décor theme, but the basis structure of the club remained the same.

Kiki's (or whatever it was called then) became the Matrix bar around 2001. The redevelopment completely transformed the place into your bog standard chrome, bright lights and multi-tv screen bar and eatery. It later became that lap dancing place.

Some memorable periods and particular occasions for me in the place include:

1989ish - 1991ish - The Wednesday night club night  - at the time when Club Superman was running up in Occasions on Saturday nights. Playing some of the Chicago house and garage and the Yorkshire bleeps and beats stuff that they did upstairs, but also some more laid back soulful stuff and hip-hop....it was midweek after all. One particular Wednesday night that stands out in my memory was the time the night was turned over to the i-D Magazine, who were doing a tour of the UK with this venture in to club nights. Boy George was DJ, at the very start of his career as a DJ and during the time of his Jesus Loves You/Hare Krishna shizzle. I had a chat with him (or rather a shout in each other's ears thing).....he was off his face and he told me I was a very nice looking boy (I was around 19 at the time)....he scared me a bit!

1995/6 - Waxlyrical on Sunday nights - held in the smaller room this was the first Sunday night club ever held in Sheffield. I was part of the team that put it on and DJ'ed at it. It was great while it lasted and we had to close the doors every week after the first couple of nights due to reaching capacity.

2002 - Bar Matrix - Word Cup England vs Argentina - Lunchtime boozing, Beckham's penalty....redemption for 1998 for him, redemption for us all for 1986!

Did Matrix later change to Club Sutra which subsequently then changed to Club Vive which then along with the Fez became Niche?

I think between Occasions and Fez the original Mona Lisa nightclub was called Cuba?

Some great nights & memories of Matrix & Fez from around 2004 - 2007.

Kikis didn’t become matrix - they were at opposite ends of the row of units.

on pic below kikis was located on left and matrix on right.

kikis did become fez club and later niche and the matrix ended up as a sports bar before closing altogether.

the matrix was a furniture shop before that from memory.

7476F19F-EBE1-40AE-BBEF-94C978932C52.jpeg

Yes you’re right my memory’s going 😂

I thought Fez was a separate club to Kikis - I know they sometimes opened them up together and you could access via the stairs but most often they were separate with the entrance to Fez around the back on Rockingham rd/st?

Any idea what the bar next to Kikis was that Niche also knocked through into - was it the red room or something such like?

On 19/10/2018 at 11:38, Owl At Risk said:

Kiki's was a major part of my formative years.

I was underneath the NCP Wellington Street car park, which itself was under/incorporated into the 14 story BT Telecom House building (now the Strada student accommodation).

Kiki's had two rooms. The main room had a capacity of around 600, with a side room that could take 120 (I know this specifically, as explained below). It was also connected via a staircase to the club upstairs.....known as Occasions at the time. Although they normally operated as separate clubs there were times when a single club night occupied both clubs. Occasions became the Fez club sometime around 1998. Kiki's also changed names (can't remember what to), and both were redeveloped under a Moroccan décor theme, but the basis structure of the club remained the same.

Kiki's (or whatever it was called then) became the Matrix bar around 2001. The redevelopment completely transformed the place into your bog standard chrome, bright lights and multi-tv screen bar and eatery. It later became that lap dancing place.

Some memorable periods and particular occasions for me in the place include:

1989ish - 1991ish - The Wednesday night club night  - at the time when Club Superman was running up in Occasions on Saturday nights. Playing some of the Chicago house and garage and the Yorkshire bleeps and beats stuff that they did upstairs, but also some more laid back soulful stuff and hip-hop....it was midweek after all. One particular Wednesday night that stands out in my memory was the time the night was turned over to the i-D Magazine, who were doing a tour of the UK with this venture in to club nights. Boy George was DJ, at the very start of his career as a DJ and during the time of his Jesus Loves You/Hare Krishna shizzle. I had a chat with him (or rather a shout in each other's ears thing).....he was off his face and he told me I was a very nice looking boy (I was around 19 at the time)....he scared me a bit!

1995/6 - Waxlyrical on Sunday nights - held in the smaller room this was the first Sunday night club ever held in Sheffield. I was part of the team that put it on and DJ'ed at it. It was great while it lasted and we had to close the doors every week after the first couple of nights due to reaching capacity.

2002 - Bar Matrix - Word Cup England vs Argentina - Lunchtime boozing, Beckham's penalty....redemption for 1998 for him, redemption for us all for 1986!

The Rhythm Rooms

Didn’t rhythm rooms then become po na na ???

I think the order is something like but please correct if I’m wrong?

Main club: Genevieve, Maximillions, Kikis, Rhythm Rooms, Po Na Na, Club Sutra, Vibe, Niche

Upstairs club: Ambassador Suite, Mona Lisa’s, Occasions, Cuba, Fez Club, Niche, back to Fez Club

11 minutes ago, Frankie_4_Fingers said:

Didn’t rhythm rooms then become po na na ???

I think the order is something like but please correct if I’m wrong?

Main club: Genevieve, Maximillions, Kikis, Rhythm Rooms, Po Na Na, Club Sutra, Vibe, Niche

Upstairs club: Ambassador Suite, Mona Lisa’s, Occasions, Cuba, Fez Club, Niche, back to Fez Club

I was a KiKi's regular but stopped going when it became Rhythm Rooms and they wouldn't serve pint's. And I've never been in the place since. I think you're correct regarding the names though.

On 17/05/2020 at 13:49, makapaka said:

Kikis didn’t become matrix - they were at opposite ends of the row of units.

on pic below kikis was located on left and matrix on right.

kikis did become fez club and later niche and the matrix ended up as a sports bar before closing altogether.

the matrix was a furniture shop before that from memory.

7476F19F-EBE1-40AE-BBEF-94C978932C52.jpeg

I think you're part right, part wrong!

Looking back now I agree with you that Kiki's did not become Bar Matrix. At the time of Bar Martrix the place that was Kiki's still existed (maybe it was Fez then?). 

However I don't think Matrix occupied the end unit, but the space between your 2 yellow circles. From left to right it went Kiki's/Fez - Entrance/foyer to BT building - Bar Matrix - end unit/furniture shop.

What makes me particularly sure that the furniture shop existed at the same time as Bar Matrix is that in 2002 I was working in the BT building, having regular boozy lunches in Bar Matrix and I bought a new bed from the furniture shop (sober). 

EDIT - Google Streetview has just confirmed that that was the case. In this image from 2008 you can see the 4 separate entities - Vibe (was Kiki's) - BT entrance (the grey bit) - NVON (or something, boarded up, was Bar Matrix) - The furniture shop (looking very worse for wear)

image.png.87a1aa97c7923c9c28e40a2d726138c4.png