Scholey's Herbalist Shop

Guest Sharron Baroudi

Guest Sharron Baroudi

Hi everyone, I've attached a picture of my grandfathers herbalist shop at 67 Effingham Street and I'm trying to solve a mystery.  I can't find a Samuel Scholey, herbalist at this address but I can find Ernest Scholey, my grandad.  However the sign says S Scholey.  I understand from another post that there was a Samuel Scholey herbalist at Darnall and a Harry Scholey who are Ernest's father and uncle?  Whilst Ernest's father was called Samuel, I can't find a Harry Scholey.  Does anyone have any more information?  

Reginald outside his parents herbalist shop in Clifton Park.jpg

Sheffield Evening Telegraph 16 July 1900

Hi Sharron
I found this article in a 1900 Newspaper sadly it might not help your quest but io thought that you might like it .

Scholey.JPG

The Effingham Road shop address is in Rotherham, not Sheffield as advertised in 1913

Scholeys Advert 1913.png

They returned in time to lose their Black Retriever crossed with Spaniel - a reward for it was advertised for the same address  in 1916.

Here is a report of the robbery in 1900 with some additional detail to the one syrup has posted:

Scholeys Robbed 1900.png

Harry was living at the 34 Attercliffe Common branch in 1911:

Harry Scholey Census 1911.jpg

Samuel (b 1877) and Ernest  (b 1882) were the sons of Samuel (b 1852), Henry (Harry , b 1866) was the brother of Samuel (b1852).  Some census returns are below to give some detail. In 1881 most of the family were brickyard labourers or bricklayers:

1881:

Samuel Scholey Census 1881.jpg

1891:

Samuel Scholey Census 1891.jpg

1901:

Samuel Scholey Census 1901.jpg

1911:

Samuel Scholey Census 1911.jpg

Here is a link to a photo showing the branch at 642 Attercliffe Road (it's next door to the pub, behind the horse and cart):

picturesheffield attercliffe road

I assume you've found the previous information on this site, but just in case here's a link

Sheff History Herbalist link - see 8th post

Guest Sharron Baroudi

Wow thanks for all your help and census information.  This is where I was getting confused because in all of the censuses it appears they were all bricklayers of some kind or other and the only reference to a herbalist in the family was my grandad Ernest. The attached states he's living at 67 Effingham Street and it is a dwelling house.   I wasn't sure if I had the right people or not!  Researching on ancestry.com can be extremely confusing.  Does this mean that they were bricklayers and herbalists?  Sorry for being so thick

IMG_0522.JPG

Guest Sharron Baroudi

I'm confused about Samuel my great grandfather because I have a picture of my grandad at his mothers graveside and her name is Elizabeth.  She would have been born in about 1848 because she died in 1927 which fits with the inscription on her headstone. However the 1911 census states his wife is called Naomi.  Could there have been two Samuel Scholey's? 

Reginalds dad at the graveside of his mum and dad.jpg

Yes, there were two Samuel Scholeys,  - here's Samuel and Elizabeth's wedding record in 1876 (Elizabeth's address was 150 Park Hill Lane - in 1881 they were living at 138 Park Hill Lane).

Samuel Scholey Marriage 1876.jpg

Their son Samuel was born in the first quarter of 1877, and married Naomi Ward in 1906 at St Judes - marriage record below - note that both of them were widowed:

Samuel Scholey Marriage 1906.jpg

Not sure if it is relevant, but back in the early 1950's my Dad took me to a dentist called Scholey down in the Owler Lane area...His butchering department ( sorry a Freudian slip) was above a shop which I seemed to remember sold self medications and the like. I wonder if this could be ea relation?

Henry was living at 41 Hastings Road, Millhouses, Sheffield from at least 1925 (Kellys directory) and was there in 1939 (see census) and died there in 1943 leaving £650.  His wife Sarah died there in 1948. The house is very nice (look on Google streetview) - he must have been a good businessman.

Henry Scholey 1939.jpg

Henry Scholey Probate 1943.png

The dentist was Arnold Scholey - my dentist. He also ran the Fountain Inn  at Ingbirchworth. He also had a surgery somewhere along  the top of Halifax Rd . I went there once & think it was probably where he lived. There was extensive correspondence on another Sheffield site some time ago - either Sheffield Forum or Sheffield History about Arnold & his brother (or was it cousin?)

Guest Sharron Baroudi
22 hours ago, syrup said:

Sheffield Evening Telegraph 16 July 1900

Hi Sharron
I found this article in a 1900 Newspaper sadly it might not help your quest but io thought that you might like it .

Scholey.JPG

Guest Sharron Baroudi

I've found a record of Samuel Scholey about 1877 arriving on the Corinthian from Quebec in August 1913, his wife's birthdate also matches 1876 but the kids with them don't quite match up age wise.  There's also a record of his wife Naomi going out to Quebec in July 1913 although I can't be sure it's her even though her birth date matches without stumping up £179 for an ancestry.co.uk upgrade to international.  If they were the same family though would they have only spent one month in Canada?

Even more confused than ever now.  

BTW I'm so impressed with how much you all know so much more than I do about my own family.  Is there some alchemy I'm not aware of that would make it easier to sort the wood from the trees?  I really want to know more but I don't want to be bankrupt at the end of it and all the research websites I've been looking at cost.

Here's the manifest for the 8th March 1912 departure of the Empress of Ireland from Liverpool to St Johns, New Brunswick.  Note that the family's entries are all crossed out - did they cancel at the last minute?

Samuel _ Naomi Canada trip 1912.jpg

Naomi died in 1955 - probate extract:

Naomi Scholey Probate 1955.png

Percy was the licensee at the York Hotel in Broomhill from 1938 until at least 1951.  He died in 1969.

Guest Sharron Baroudi

My dad told me that a relative cancelled their passage but he said it was on the Titanic, maybe he was embellishing the story.  Thanks for all your help Edmund, are my ancestors and yours linked in some way?

On 19/11/2016 at 17:38, Sharron Baroudi said:

My dad told me that a relative cancelled their passage but he said it was on the Titanic, maybe he was embellishing the story.  Thanks for all your help Edmund, are my ancestors and yours linked in some way?

Hi Sharron,

No, I think the only link is that I used to enjoy a Saturday dinnertime sandwich and pint of beer in the York Hotel!

Hi Sharron

I know it's been a few years but i stumbled across your amazing photo when i googled Sheffield herbalism history. I'm studying herbal medicine so i was absolutely gobsmacked to see this. I'm not sure if your Scholeys and mine are connected but it'd be interesting to find out as my dad and uncles are a bit useless with family history. 

My grandad was Fred Scholey and he had a brother Doug and a sister Sylvia. They lived in Stocksbridge way back until recently but my grandparents also lived in Africa for a long time in the mid 1900's. I think my grandad would have been born in 1922 (ish). And i think his dad was called Lewis but that's all my dad could tell me!

I hope you managed to find what you wanted :)