SEXY REXY clothes shop Sheffield city centre

Sheffield History

sexy rexy clothes shop sheffield.jpg

Photo above of Sexy Sexy clothes shop in Sheffield, and I'm looking for as many details and stories as possible about this legendary Sheffield shop.

Owned By Rex Caplan

Managed by Tony Smith 

What do you know about Sexy Sexy? Did you shop at Sexy Rexy? 

And why was it called Sexy Rexy?!!

BBC Sheffield and South Yorkshire piece from Thursday, 17 September 2009:

Sexy Rexy and other shopping stories

Another 'Sexy Rexy' thread on this site says the shop was 'owned By Rex Caplan and managed by Tony Smith'.... hence the 'Rexy'?

'Sexy Rexy' thread - January 1 2008

I was going to ask the date of the photo, as the car parked on the left of shot is a 'K' plate 1971-2, so can't be any earlier than 1971 (September 1st change was it?). Any car buffs out there recognise the model? I thought it was a Vauxhall of some marque (Viva, Cresta, Victor, Viscount) but the single headlight, the upright section on the bumper and and the model badge on the leading edge of the bonnet don't fit with these???

Then I look on Picture Sheffield and the image is dated 21/11/1972. At this time, I would just be out of short pants, so unlikely to be a customer of this 'boutique'! lol

On 22 November 2016 at 12:59, RLongden said:

BBC Sheffield and South Yorkshire piece from Thursday, 17 September 2009:

Sexy Rexy and other shopping stories

Another 'Sexy Rexy' thread on this site says the shop was 'owned By Rex Caplan and managed by Tony Smith'.... hence the 'Rexy'?

'Sexy Rexy' thread - January 1 2008

I was going to ask the date of the photo, as the car parked on the left of shot is a 'K' plate 1971-2, so can't be any earlier than 1971 (September 1st change was it?). Any car buffs out there recognise the model? I thought it was a Vauxhall of some marque (Viva, Cresta, Victor, Viscount) but the single headlight, the upright section on the bumper and and the model badge on the leading edge of the bonnet don't fit with these???

Then I look on Picture Sheffield and the image is dated 21/11/1972. At this time, I would just be out of short pants, so unlikely to be a customer of this 'boutique'! lol

On 22/11/2016 at 20:08, Calvin72 said:

Not sure I'd pay £16.95 for a suit now :)

Get yourself down to 'Primani'/ 'Pradamark' and you'd get the suit,matching shirt and tie and probably still have change out of fifteen quid! :P

The car might be a Simca 1204 or similar: lettering on the left front of the bonnet, round headlights and plastic/rubber on the face of the overriders:

Simca1204.jpg

As the photograph of Sexy Rexy was taken by Sheffield Newspapers for 21st November 1972 I would suggest a search of their Newspapers for that date as it usually indicates the photograph appeared in a publication for that date. It may be just a photograph with a caption but it could accompany an article. Worth a try. 

Interestingly there is another image on Picture Sheffield relating to Sexy Rexy.... A nightclub. 

Rear entrance to Sexy Rexy nightclub (latterly the Athol Hotel), No.19 Charles Street. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t09610&pos=2&action=zoom&id=89774