Fargate in Sheffield

Sheffield History

fargate-sheffield.jpg

Anyone remember Western Jean Company being where Orchard Square entrance is now?

Changed such a lot over the years!

There was Western Jean Company (Jeanius) on this side of Fargate and 'Jean Genie' (amazed Bowie never sued) on the other, next door to Bradleys Records

Jean Genie

Which one (if any of these) sold the "Smart R's" & "Arrow" stretch jeans that were a-la mode in the late 70's - early 80's? I remember it well and they were reminiscent of what 'jeggings' look like today - never a great look on a teenage 'yoof', but we were all slaves to fashion in those days. lol

Sta-Press, Harringtons, Bowie-Trou', Crombies, Dockers (the longer the boot and closer to your knees, the cooler you were - just took you a fortnight to get them on and off!), Double-Breasted shirts, winkle-picker, side-laced shoes (Ravel), Leather Box Jackets, Mohair Jumpers, Fred Perry shirts, baggy jeans, flared jeans, multicoloured jeans, DIY bleached jeans you covered in Domestos so they fell to bits on the washing line............... Hahahaha!....... I could be here all day.......

I wonder how many different varieties of clothing were a wardrobe essential to everyone reading this? What was you fondest memory of saving up for, or begging your mum and dad to buy you the latest, must-have........

shoes/boots

trousers/skirts

shirts/blouses/tops

jackets/coats/outerwear

hats/caps/headwear

accessories

jewellery/watches/bling

By the time you are talking about my dress code was largely satisfied by Cole Brothers and M&S. My earliest memory of saving up for something really cool, aged about 15 ,was buying a Frankie Lane shirt ,with fly away collar, from Winstone's. I took it home and my mum said it was  a load of rubbish and would fall apart after a couple of washes...She was right...my first lesson in "you only get what you pay for".

There is an excellent photo, in David Richardson's (2002) "Remember Sheffield in the fifties sixties and seventies", by C.J.Farrant of the Goodwin Fountain (May 1964) also showing the properties adjacent to H L Brown & Son occupied by Cantors Six Star Furniture Store and Dean & Dawson travel agents. Royal London Insurance also advertised their presence 'upstairs'. How long did Western Jean Company trade there? 

The thing I remember about the Goodwin Fountain is that periodically some clown would put detergent into the water! The result was that the water frothed up with suds blowing away down the road. I believe that all the water had to be drained out and replenished after these attacks.

On 13/11/2016 at 22:05, Voldy said:

There is an excellent photo, in David Richardson's (2002) "Remember Sheffield in the fifties sixties and seventies", by C.J.Farrant of the Goodwin Fountain (May 1964) also showing the properties adjacent to H L Brown & Son occupied by Cantors Six Star Furniture Store and Dean & Dawson travel agents. Royal London Insurance also advertised their presence 'upstairs'. How long did Western Jean Company trade there? 

Looking at the timeline of photographs of the top of Fargate, there are photos of Western Jean Company starting in 1978/9

The store must have closed by the time they started developing Orchard Square in 1986, so maybe they were only trading for 8 years?

Start of the development of Orchard Square

On 11/10/2016 at 15:25, Lemmy117 said:

Wasn't that the place that had a 'permanent' Closing Down Sale? Lasted for years!

Nigel L

No, that was "Cornell Furs" on the corner of Norfolk Row and Fargate. The type of sale got changed every few weeks and they had:

• Fire Damge
  • Flood Damage
  • Stock Clearance
  • End of Season
  • Closing Down
  • Grand Re-Opening

Any excuse to try and con the public that the goods were a bargain, although everyone knew they were trying it on. Finished up being featured on "That's Life" c 1979.

23 hours ago, RLongden said:

Looking at the timeline of photographs of the top of Fargate, there are photos of Western Jean Company starting in 1978/9

The store must have closed by the time they started developing Orchard Square in 1986, so maybe they were only trading for 8 years?

Start of the development of Orchard Square

Thanks for the research, it seems many of the 'Fashion' clothes shops have relatively short lives and our own particular memories relate to those we patronized. Most of mine were 40's,50's and 60's so (as I have read elsewhere on this site) I would find today's Sheffield much changed.

Here are a couple of Fargate photos taken in Oct/Nov 1961 ( new Kodak camera!).

2015-10-20_5.JPG

2015-10-20_12.JPG

On 10/11/2016 at 19:35, Sheffield History said:

fargate-sheffield.jpg

Anyone remember Western Jean Company being where Orchard Square entrance is now?

Changed such a lot over the years!

Ye Gods. Everything seems to have changed so much over the years!, wherever you look in a City. I can't well recall the Western Jean Company on Fargate, but  I do remember jumping about with a mate in that Fargate fountain in the early 80's after a  week-end night out and a good few Shandies up West Street. Climbed out, half soaking through, straight into 2 Coppers and a RIGHT Good Rollockin. Soon sobered up! Silly Sod, : ). BTW when was that Fountain at the top of Fargate dismantled, because I think my drunken escapade wouldv'e been in 1982 or 83?

20 hours ago, Dropout said:

BTW when was that Fountain at the top of Fargate dismantled, because I think my drunken escapade wouldv'e been in 1982 or 83?

It was demolished in 1998 and replaced by one in the Peace Gardens which I think was given the same name. There is a post here with some information on the fountain.        --------------        

12 hours ago, boginspro said:

It was demolished in 1998 and replaced by one in the Peace Gardens which I think was given the same name. There is a post here with some information on the fountain.        --------------        

1998! Didn't realise it was as late as that.Thanks for the reply and the information.