BBC Radio Sheffield - Winton Cooper and Michael Cooke

Sheffield History

article-1377833-0BA843F300000578-793_468x357.jpg

Anyone remember Winton Cooper and Michael Cooke on Radio Sheffield?

I remember Winton well. Sadly he was found murdered by his own son :(

Michael Cooke I don't remember being on Radio Sheffield, but seem to have vague memories of him on TV? Maybe reading news?

I remember Michael Cook on Radio Sheffield as well as on Look Leeds ...sorry Look North. I have a dim and distant memory that at some stage in his career he was a Minister in the Church.

I seem to remember Michael Cook did a sort of consumer programme (poor mans Jimmy Young!) on Radio Sheffield. Tony Capstick used to hand over to him, calling him "Cookie".   Might be remembering wrongly but I think TC did a morning show at one time and Cook took over at 9. Don't know where he lived but I occasional saw him in Bill Roebucks newsagents on Oakbrook Road.

Think he sadly died of motor neurone disease.   Haven't checked any of this, just what I remember.

I have a vague recollection Michael Cooke lived off Ridgeway Rd nr Corker Rd in the early 70s when he did a Saturday teatime TV Sport programme. I encountered him later in life at Radio Sheffield on Westbourne Rd Broomhill (along with Tony Capstick). This would be early to mid '80s - I used to go there almost weekly (dodgy telephone system). Michael Cooke left during this time. My most embarrassing moment was TC introducing me to Rene & Renato!

Cookie used to host a phone in, in which he was usually very rude. People really called in the hope that Cookie would say "You don't know what you're talking about Missis" and hang up on them.