Have a look at this Sheffield photo..

Sheffield History

u03918.jpg

Love this photo of old Sheffield showing The Durham Ox in the foreground, and then further over the Victoria Hotel and Railway station

Even more interesting further on though you can see the construction of the high rise flats

Anyone know when this will have been taken?

On 05/11/2016 at 13:54, Sheffield History said:

u03918.jpg

Love this photo of old Sheffield showing The Durham Ox in the foreground, and then further over the Victoria Hotel and Railway station

Even more interesting further on though you can see the construction of the high rise flats

I think that's pye bank flats being built in the background so would imagine late 50s /early 60's.

Guest Alan Nelson

I lived in the demolished houses in the foreground until october 1960 so it must have been soon after. Brings back memories. The middle one 8 Crickett Inn Road.

I like the sites of some of Sheffield's once extensive railway depots you can make out. really interesting picture...especially as the Durham Ox was once one of my regular watering holes!

The Pye Bank tower blocks were completed in mid 1961 (George Wimpey &Co.) The proper name was ' The Woodside Development'. Most of the adjacent houses were not finished until 1963. 

If you look to the left of the pub gates there was a small brick built coal house against which we used to have a pile of coke (the legal kind).  As a child I used to climb up this coke heap and talk to the railway workers who would often give me wild flowers from the embankments.  They were really nice guys and I presume customers.  These pictures bring back fond memories.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 13:54, Sheffield History said:

u03918.jpg

As a 15 year old at the time I would put it in and around 1963/5. In June 1967 I was involved in an ice cream van accident near the base of these flats just off Andover Street/Close

On 11/6/2016 at 18:41, makapaka said:

I think that's pye bank flats being built in the background so would imagine late 50s /early 60's.

Yes I was thinking early 60's

I had though the flats were finished after 61 but cant be certain. The whole of that area was a mess of empty terraced houses awaitng demolition. 

On 2/14/2018 at 16:06, david france said:

I had though the flats were finished after 61 but cant be certain. The whole of that area was a mess of empty terraced houses awaitng demolition. 

Hi David, are you are relative of Elizabeth France Jimmy France, Martin France. Their parents were Francis France, Jimmy France ,related to the Westnidge Family. We lived on Pipworth RoadManor Estate.