The Pump pub on the Moor, Sheffield

Sheffield History

Up the road to the right was  a cafe called Annabelles in the early seventies. Used to go in after going to one of the earliest Virgin Stores (1973).   Only went in the PUMP a couple of times, can't remember anything about it.  Was where the buses park now. (I think !)

The Pump was renowned for its "Businessman's Meat and Potato Pie"...The tasty offering was equally well renowned for the scarcity of meat in it...A cheer would go up when someone found a piece !

I have a vague memory, (come to think of it, all my memories are vague), that the Pump had one of those fancy suspended fabric ceilings gathered to a high point in the middle.

A bit like like being inside a large tent.

I remember thinking at the time that I hoped it was properly fire-proofed.

On 10/11/2016 at 19:29, SteveHB said:

The Pump PH pictured was not on the Moor, it was on Earl Street, where the Moor Market now stands.

pump_PH.jpg

So, did the Pump Tavern (Public House) move to the opposite corner of that block, along Earl Street? At some point, it seems to be on the corner, where the building marked 'Bank' (No. 83) is on the above map?

See a selection of photo's on PS, showing the site on the corner of Earl Street and the Moor... address 77 (or 79) The Moor!

Pump Tavern (PH) on Picture Sheffield

The bank on this map was Lloyds but opposite the pump was NatWest which used to be Westminster Bank. Next to the Pump was Hawley's famous tool shop, origin of the famous tool collection at Kelham Island.

I used to go in the Pump (very) regularly from the  mid '90s up until it was knocked down. Used to have the top bar and the longer bottom bar down the steps and a couple of pool tables at the far end. Was a corridor behind the bar that housed the toilets. The dinner time food service was very popular, a few of my elderly relatives used to go in every week or so. I remember that they also served breakfasts for a short time.  Also used to get very busy for the Friday night quiz. Used to have plenty of regulars and familiar faces from the market on the Moor and the offices around about. But, yes, it the side door was across from the NatWest where many of us would pop across to. Think there was also a bookies a door or two up as well...

The Pump was run by some friends of mine in the '90s/early 2Ks,  and I was an almost daily regular there for ~6 years. The maps above are correct. It wasn't ON the Moor, it was on the junction of Earl Street (runs down side of new market) and Cumberland Way (now under the market). The pub site is now under the market. The Earl St entrance was opposite the old bank which is still there and is now a record shop I think. (the old bank is across Earl way from that brown striped car park you can see on the left of the first image) 

It was a busy lunchtime/quiet evening pub, and a really great place to meet a wide range of people - groups from different companies coming together. Beer and food were always good. There isn't really a replacement, as not many pubs in town have a landlord onsite who wants to get to know people.

Here are some photo's from 2007 which should put it in context

Pump Location #1.jpg

Pump jcn Earl St & Cumberland Way 2007.JPG

Pump Main Entrance Earl St #2 2007.JPG

Pump Main Entrance Earl Street #1 2007.JPG

Pump Rear Entrance Cumberland Way 2007.JPG

Demolished Rear of Pump Cumberland Way 2007.JPG

23 hours ago, eldomsmith said:

Here are some photo's from 2007 which should put it in context

Thank you for the photographs.

On 11/20/2016 at 22:29, RLongden said:

So, did the Pump Tavern (Public House) move to the opposite corner of that block, along Earl Street? At some point, it seems to be on the corner, where the building marked 'Bank' (No. 83) is on the above map?

See a selection of photo's on PS, showing the site on the corner of Earl Street and the Moor... address 77 (or 79) The Moor!

Pump Tavern (PH) on Picture Sheffield

There is a good picture of the Old Pump Tavern on The Moor (South Street ) on this very site.

post-124-1175699594.jpg

The original Pump was on The Moor and attached to The South Street Brewery. address 79 South Street (The Moor) (corner with Earl Street). As was the way in Sheffield every pub was removed from The Moor and a new pub built further down Earl Street.