Possibly My Great Great Great Grandfathers Straight Razor

Guest Shawn Vieira

Guest Shawn Vieira

I recently was given a straight razor that belonged to my Great Grandfather and was more than likely his fathers. My Great Grandfather was born July 29 1898. My Great Great Grandfather was born 18 Aug 1855. The razor is stamped E. Hobson Snig Hill Sheffield what I have been able to find is that E.Hobson was open from approximately 1825 to 1852 first at 18 Snig Hill and later at 67 Snig Hill. So I am beginning to wonder if this might have been my Great Great Great Grandfathers Straight. Since my Great Great Grandfather was born 3 years after the last record I could find. Any assistance on possibly narrowing down the time frame even more would be great. 

Of the 3 razors in the group photo it is the one on the bottom and yes I have used it. (Twice)

IMG_20161013_225146 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20161013_225010.jpg

The following is from "Tweeddale's Directory Of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740 - 2010" its my bible so to speak:

EDWARD HOBSON

This maker was based on Snig Hill and was first listed as a Razor manufacturer and dealer "In all kinds of hardware" in 1825, Hobson placed an illustrated advertisement in the local directory, with a picture of his "Wholesale Cutlery Store" the advertisement stated "E.H. always has several hundred gross of pen, pocket and Wharncliffe Knives in stock, with a large assortment of scissors, razors, table knives, saw, files etc. suitable for the American or Country Trade and to be sold cheap!!".

An advertisement in 1841 made the "Warehouse seem less grand, it was on the second floor, entrance in the passage" Nevertheless Edward had a London outlet, his name was stamped on Bowie Knives. Snig Hill remained Edwards business address into the 1850s , when he was living in Pye Bank, Woodside, this location was within a mile of his workplace. Edwards sons, Henry and John Barber also ran cutlery businesses. By 1854 John Barber Hobson was listed at Snig Hill, with Edward living at Grove Cottage Pye Bank in 1856 (see my contribution from my directories) Edward died aged 59 on the 11th of April 1858 and was buried at Christ Church Pitsmoor.

from the 1825 Directory:

Hobson Edward, razor manufacturer, and dealer in all kinds of hardware, 18, Snig hill

From the 1856 Directory

•Hobson  Edward, Grove cottage, Pyebank

HENRY HOBSON & SON

Henry Hobson was Edwards son and was born around 1823, in 1842 he married his wife Ann, the only Daughter of John Pearce a cutlery dealer and razor manufacturer in Angel Street. Henry became Pearce's manager  but in 1845 he launched his own business with his younger brother John Barber Hobson. Their first listing was in 1852 as Hobson Brothers in Bank Buildings on Bank Street.

The Brothers opened a London branch with henry living in Houndsditch with his wife Ann. However, in 1852 Henry & John dissolved Hobson Bros and after that Henry ran his own business. After the death of his Father-In-Law in 1860, Henry operated under the name of John Pearce & Co on Queen St/ Bank St. Henry handled the London connection, in 1861, he was living with his family and three servants at Hallamshire House in Highbury Hill London. He described himself as a "Wholesale Cutler". By 1876, Henry was trading under his own name as Henry Hobson & Son, which was listed in Queen Street and Houndsditch , London. Henrys partner was his son Henry Hobson Jnr, George his other brother and Dennis Hobson (1837-1883) were the company's agents, Dennis was also an Auctioneer and furniture dealer.

Henry Hobson Senior continued to live in Highbury Hill, where his wife Ann died in 1869 aged 46, two years later Henry Snr re-married at Holloway Congregational Church, his new wife was Kezia, the daughter of Reverend Alex Stewart . In 1883 his son took over the business and by 1891 Henry Snr had retired to Lyndhurst (house name) Rutland Park Sheffield.

HIs daughter Martha had married Robert F. Moseley in the early 1890s. John Hobson & Sons were listed as a manufacturer of cutlery and electro-plate with "Goods for all markets". Its catalogues illustrated cutlery and plate, besides a huge range of china and glass, clocks, barometers, cigar and cigarette and stationary cabinets, hand tools, umbrellas and guns. The firm registered silver marks at the Sheffield Assay Office, listing his address as Houndsditch,  London. Henry Hobson died at Ilkley on the 29th of July 1897, he left just £3,363. The partner became George Frederick Hobson and Henry Stanley Hobson, who both had London addresses. The founders elder son Henry of Houndsditch, died on the 24th of September 1890 aged just 43. Before the first world war, the firm occupied, in turn premises on West Street, Carver Street, and Eyre Lane, Hobson's used the trademark "EXPRESS" and dubbed his office Express Works, They also used the "J.P." mark of John Pearce, after 1918 the firm moved to Arundel Street, but the business ceased around 1930. Their mark was acquired by John Clarke.

THE PHOTO SHOWS WHAT I THINK WAS THEIR PREMISES ON QUEEN ST / BANK ST, (99.9 5 sure initials to the top most point of the building)

Bank Street.jpg

001.JPG

Henry Hobson.JPG

Guest Shawn Vieira

This is so cool, thanks. I had found both 18 & 68 Snig Hill on Google Maps. I saw a barber shop at 17 Snig and wondered if they new the history of the building. 

Don't rely on the modern property numbers, they were changed in the late 1800s so the properties your G.Grandfather had could be completely different to the one you've spotted on Google maps.