Can you name all the shops that used to be on The Gallery in Sheffield Markets?

Sheffield History

castle5.jpg

How many of the shops can you remember upstairs on the Gallery?

There was definitely a record shop right?

The record shop was Revolution, I met The Jam there signing copies of their single In The City. There was also the Original Sweeney barbers shop, I think there was also a Lou Burgon barbers shop.

The Jam went in there?

That's a story I need to hear!

Was it like one of those meet and greet things?

On 06/11/2016 at 18:30, sando said:

The record shop was Revolution, I met The Jam there signing copies of their single In The City. There was also the Original Sweeney barbers shop, I think there was also a Lou Burgon barbers shop.

Wow I never knew that !  I spent housrs of my life in Revolution in 1977-81 - remember they used to write lists of news records on the wall - used to be a mad rush for the limited editiosn coloured versions or free badges etc.  I bought In the City there to though never knew they had been there.  Paul Weller looks like a child - which he was ! great days !

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2017 at 16:52, dunsbyowl1867 said:

Wow I never knew that !  I spent housrs of my life in Revolution in 1977-81 - remember they used to write lists of news records on the wall - used to be a mad rush for the limited editiosn coloured versions or free badges etc.  I bought In the City there to though never knew they had been there.  Paul Weller looks like a child - which he was ! great days !

Me too !! Got a lot of records from there .It was owned and run by Pete Martin who later became Def Leppard's first manager . Spent ages in there talking with Pete and his wife/girlfriend - a lovely blonde lady but I can't for the life of me remember her name. They used to have a tiny pet monkey which was sometimes in the shop !! I Remember the feeling of euphoria when I walked in one day and Pete said he had something I may like to hear and produced from under the counter Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones on American import which I had asked him to try and get hold of for me. Yes , great days !

On 02/03/2018 at 11:21, Sheffielder by Sea said:

Me too !! Got a lot of records from there .It was owned and run by Pete Martin who later became Def Leppard's first manager . Spent ages in there talking with Pete and his wife/girlfriend - a lovely blonde lady but I can't for the life of me remember her name. They used to have a tiny pet monkey which was sometimes in the shop !! I Remember the feeling of euphoria when I walked in one day and Pete said he had something I may like to hear and produced from under the counter Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones on American import which I had asked him to try and get hold of for me. Yes , great days !

" Dunsby Owl said "Wow I never knew that !  I spent housrs of my life in Revolution in 1977-81 - remember they used to write lists of news records on the wall - used to be a mad rush for the limited editiosn coloured versions or free badges etc.  I bought In the City there to though never knew they had been there.  Paul Weller looks like a child - which he was ! great days !"

Hello OP, I can't remember many of the shops that were on the Gallery originally, I remember a few of the later ones, but MOSTLY, I remember the Revolution Record shop and, like Dunsby Owl, I used to go in there from around 1977 - 1980/81, when did it close? and look at the lists on the wall, buy the latest local and National Punk singles/New Wave and LOADS of the small badges. I remember Pete well enough, a Scottish guy I think? and the blonde girlfriend/wife too, who worked in there. I was a bit of a shy mid to late  teen back in those days, so I didn't hang around too long after I'd bought me stuff. Talk about Hindsight and all that stuff, I don't half wish NOW, that I had bought 3 or 4 copies of each single, badge, LP, etc, that I bought, while I had the money,(which I did, as I had a part -time job) and saved them all for future years!!, but, anyway, it was all about the Music and the Punk ideals for me......the SELLING out, came much later and older!!.

BTW, I had my own small crowd of friends/mates, but I didn't mix widely, but would've probably known Sheffielder by the Sea & Dunsby Owl, by sight,back then?

Thanks for the OP and the sharing.