Any militaria knife experts help with this one please?

Bayleaf

My last surviving aunt passed away recently, but she used to tell a tale of a combat knife she had. According to what she told me, the knife was designed during WW2 by my grandfather, her father, who was a cutler at Harris Miller, and he kept one as a souvenir. My cousin was clearing her house and has found the knife in question. Does anyone have any idea about the knife, whether in fact it was what she said? Any information would be very welcome!

knife.JPG

This knife is called a Commando Knife, it was turned black so it wouldn't reflect any Moomlight when the Commandos were on any covert ops, you can still buy them either with an overall mirror finish or as you see in the photo.

Thanks for the information. Is it likely they were produced by Harris Miller? What does Fairburn Sykes refer to, designer? manufacturer? Any more help appreciated!

2 hours ago, Bayleaf said:

Thanks for the information. Is it likely they were produced by Harris Miller? What does Fairburn Sykes refer to, designer? manufacturer? Any more help appreciated!

Fairburn-Sykes were the manufacturer, but sometimes the blank blades were sold to other manufacturers for the fitting of handles and finishing, they would then stamp on their names.. However, during the war, this probably wasn't the case.

I've got the knife now rather than working from a photo, no markings on it whatsoever. Thanks for your help.