Broom Spring Lane

tozzin

While walking down Glossop Road my eyes caught this old street sign, seems to me the new signs were erected some time ago are not quite right, I hate the way names are altered without checking first.

Old Broom Spring Lane street sign.jpg

Broom Spring Lane.jpg

The 1/1250 OS plan of 1951 (published 1953) shows the name as one word i.e. Broomspring. Old names were always checked with the appropriate authorities as part of the fieldwork in producing these plans so, although errors sometimes occurred, Sheffield Council seem to have the Official version this time. 

The name was, self evidently, split because when installed there was a window opening to its immediate right. This ensured the name was split as there was insufficient room....although why it should have been placed so high seems a bit strange.

6 hours ago, lysander said:

although why it should have been placed so high seems a bit strange.

To avoid the graffiti probably?lol

There are new signs on Hartshead in the city centre referring to the road as 'Harts Head'. However I have read that the street is named after a long gone pub of that name.

English is a living language...not only do we import or invent new words, we also alter the spelling of them from time to time...An example is Mossburgh, Mosbro, Mosbrough, Mossborough, Mosborough...the latter and current spelling coming into use in the publicity when the Bishop of Southwell came to St Mark's Parish Church.