Bus 555.

Fiddlestick

Have I got this right as it's over 50 years ago ? As I remember, 555 was a normal looking Leyland PD2 until you went inside where the seats were not in the usual green-patterned moquette, but brown.  It may have been a demonstrator bought by the department ? I remember it from the 160 /161 Shiregreen routes from Bridge Street. The photo, and comment, of PD2 545 below is presumably from the same batch. ( Photo from the excellent 'Old Bus Photos' site....scroll down the home page to Sheffield Corporation on the operators list.)

Sheffield Corporation – Leyland Titan PD2 – KWA 545 – 545

Sheffield Corporation - Leyland Titan PD2 - KWA 545 - 545 
Copyright Ian Wild

Sheffield Corporation 
Leyland Titan PD2/1 
Leyland H30/26R

This is an all Leyland (H30/26R) PD2/1 of the first batch of 20 delivered to Sheffield in October 1947. These were withdrawn between 1963 and 1965 but then nine of them were reinstated and lasted until 1966. In May 1966 The Leeds and District Transport News came to Sheffield in Leeds 380, another PD2/1 with an early Farington style Leyland body and the two buses were used on a tour of Sheffield routes. I joined the tour in Sheffield and I still remember how the Sheffield bus left the Leeds vehicle standing on some of the Sheffield hills that were encountered. I always had a soft spot for these reinstated buses and 545 looks a fine sight at nearly 19 years old climbing Greystones Road on the South Western side of the City. In Sheffield in those days 18/19 year old buses were something of a rarity. The bus looks to have been ‘bulled up’ by the Leadmill Road Depot for the occasion but still reflects the high standard maintained by Sheffield City Transport.

I can't see anything from the chassis numbers (which are rather random) to indicate that 555 was built separately to the rest of the batch (537-557). Unfortunately I do not know about the body numbers which might be of more use, as it is the interior which you recall as being different. I need to dig deeper into the chaos of my "library" at some point.

The Shiregreen routes were 150 and 151.

Yes, that's old age playing memory tricks ! I worked those routes regularly in the early 60's from Townhead Street, including the mind numbing 'round the houses' circuits. I look forward to anything you, or anyone else, can find madannie.