Some staff names, 1960's / 70's

Fiddlestick

Anyone remember these ?  Townhead Street's Haydn Hutchinsion, eccentric old tram man who went onto buses, lived Dobbin Hill, Ecclesall,.........Leadmill's Walter Clarke, old Jamaican conductor, slow on the bells,...........Leadmill's Brian Fenwick, conductor.....and a driver on the Gainsboro' route in the early 60's called Ken (Shaw ?).

Everyone from that era will remember these head office staff ; Mrs. Monker, Mr Glentworth and Mr. Nott.  I once got Mr.Nott in a good mood by telling him the rhyme of Mr.Nott and Mr.Shott  which he hadn't heard ( and which I can't fully remember now ). It was about a duel between the two and it ended, " Nott was shot and Shott was not."   Glentworth lived at Dore village so, best behaviour when on that route ( was it route 50 ? )

'Horse-face Nora' was often heard repeatedly shouting " F****ing  bus men " until a driver spoke to her and then it became "F****ing inspectors." !

13 hours ago, Fiddlestick said:

Anyone remember these ?  Townhead Street's Haydn Hutchinsion, eccentric old tram man who went onto buses, lived Dobbin Hill, Ecclesall,.........Leadmill's Walter Clarke, old Jamaican conductor, slow on the bells,...........Leadmill's Brian Fenwick, conductor.....and a driver on the Gainsboro' route in the early 60's called Ken (Shaw ?).

Everyone from that era will remember these head office staff ; Mrs. Monker, Mr Glentworth and Mr. Nott.  I once got Mr.Nott in a good mood by telling him the rhyme of Mr.Nott and Mr.Shott  which he hadn't heard ( and which I can't fully remember now ). It was about a duel between the two and it ended, " Nott was shot and Shott was not."   Glentworth lived at Dore village so, best behaviour when on that route ( was it route 50 ? )

'Horse-face Nora' was often heard repeatedly shouting " F****ing  bus men " until a driver spoke to her and then it became "F****ing inspectors." !

I just had to look up the Rhyme and found it is a Tongue Twister.

Ned Nott and Sam Shott

Ned Nott was shot and Sam Shott was not.
So it is better to be Shott than Nott.
Some say Nott was not shot.
But Shott says he shot Nott.
Either the shot Shott shot at Nott was not shot,
Or Nott was shot.
If the shot Shott shot shot Nott, Nott was shot.
But if the shot Shott shot shot Shott,
Then Shott was shot, not Nott.
However, the shot Shott shot shot not Shott, but Nott.

That's the one syrup, thanks. I read it to him from a page torn out of a copy of '*** Bits' which it was in; a later one than illustrated, but you'll remember the publication. ( As a teen, the more interesting ***-bits mags were available in the back rooms of such establishments as that second hand shop in Grimesthorpe ( once allowed past the 'Health and Fitness' titles !) Forgot the owner's name, but he was there for years, he moved from his original shop opposite Suggs store near Grimesthorpe school to a shop opposite the Victory picture house on Upwell Street.

TITBITS1951SEP8.jpg