Bus 123 (2123), also heaviest loading route ?

Fiddlestick

In the 1960's, just one of the old post-war buses was still in service at Leadmill, it was a Regent 111 identical to the one in the middle of the attached photo. The fleet number was 123, later changed to 2123. I mention it to see if anyone else remembers the late night route it always seemed to be scheduled for, where on Saturday nights there was always trouble aboard. I think it was the Birley route, but not sure ?

Also, anyone remember which ( 1960's ) route it was which went through Deerland's Avenue, Parson Cross and which on Saturday night was always 8 standing and the platform continually blocked with dozens getting off and on at every single stop ? You'd no chance of getting in all the fares, it was a jam-packed confusion, and they knew it ! I used to cop for it as a reserve conductor. 

MK©  502spacer.gif

MK

Would the 89 Route, City -Yew Lane-Parson Cross Circle be the one ( your second paragraph)  you are thinking of ? In the 1970 timetable (decimalisation time) it was One Man Double Deck buses ! Earlier routes were the 110 and 49 out of Bridge Street.

Some excellent photos in the sequence posted - Thank You:)

There was a bus in the Tinsley Museum about 20 years ago with those experimental 'angled' seats, possibly a Regent III (No 320 type?), do you know if it is still in preservation?  

Route 89 doesn't ring a bell ( excuse the pun ), and way before one-manning, so it must have been one of the other two you give.

Didn't know until just checking, following your mention, that the museum is now called the South Yorkshire Transport Museum and they've moved from Tinsley sheds to Aldwark in Rotherham.

I'm including pics of those weird seats. The photo ( and comment ) is from a very interesting site called 'Old Bus Photos', just go down to 'Sheffield' on the list of operators and you'll see pages of great photos and comments re. STD, I've included one such below, pure nostalgia as any of us old uns could be on board ( accompanied by inspector Phillips maybe !)

seat_2

Referring to my post of 18-12-12 about the cranked seats in Sheffield PD2 No. 651, I have now had the opportunity to photograph probably the last pair of ‘Sidhil’ Morseats in captivity which are currently in Sheffield AEC/MCW ex 255, now preserved as ex-gritter G55 in the South Yorkshire Transport Museum at Aldwarke, Rotherham.These seats were the spare pair supplied with 651 and retained by Sheffield Transport Department after the bus was sold on.

6827618088_953bbb77ee_o.jpg