Adrian Cook

Richards knife

Hi I have quite a lot of other richards Sheffield  knives.but this is the first time I have ever seen one like this one.don't really know how old it is.but it's really well made for a Richards knife.love it

tapatalk_jpeg_1465410772793.jpg

The Richards knife factory was a large building that could be seen from The Moor. Nearly every paper shop you went into had a card on which a large selection of pen knifes for sale were mounted. I was told the owners were of German origin and their actual name was Rickards but  traded as to sound more English. They certainly employed a lot of Sheffield girls in those days. Now for the naughty bit:- There was a report in one of the Sheffield papers about "a young man being taken to hospital with a ring spanner around an embarrassing part of his body". Where I was an apprentice the older men said "It's the buffer girls again with their initiation rite"

22 hours ago, Adrian Cook said:

Hi I have quite a lot of other richards Sheffield  knives.but this is the first time I have ever seen one like this one.don't really know how old it is.but it's really well made for a Richards knife.love it

tapatalk_jpeg_1465410772793.jpg

It looks very much like a Pruning Knife.

Yes .i think it is .sorry for the very late reply.i have just recently brought 2 more Richard knives which are only 50-60.mm in length.both are of the same design but I believe the s/s version is newer than the other.single blade and what appears to be a pen . The false M.O.P. knife has a pen in it if that's what it is.the S/S version unscrews whilst the M.O.P.one doesn't. So.my question is what  is it supposed  to be pen or scribe.?.thanks for looking.

20170411_210922.jpg

20170411_210639.jpg