Stones Bitter

Sheffield History

STONES BITTER

Stones Bitter is a type of English beer originally brewed by William Stones Ltd, Sheffield, UK. It is a golden/straw-coloured beer of ABV 3.7% with a creamy white head and has a sweet, malt and hops flavour. It was introduced by Cannon brewery in the 1940s.

The Cannon brewery was taken over by Bass in 1968 and brewing continued in Sheffield until 1999 when it was closed. The brand is currently brewed by Coors Brewers Limited at their Burton upon Trent plant under licence from Interbrew UK.

William Stones Ltd was located at Cannon Brewery, 43 Rutland Road, Sheffield, UK, S3 8BE.

Trivia - Sean Bean worked at the Stones brewery in the movie 'When Saturday Comes' and you can see the brewery inside and out in the movie on quite a few scenes, from the offices to the yard !

William Stones, Brewer, home Philadelphia (1852)

William Stones, Ale & Porter brewer, Cannon Brewery, Rutland Road (1893)

William Stones Limited, Cannon Brewery, Rutland Road & Boyland Street (1919)

William Stones Limited, Cannon Brewery, Rutland Road (1925)

I can remember when a lot of the owd uns referred to Stones as Jungle Juice

This advert is from a United programme in 1993 - so where did Carling Black Label come in?

When I returned home to Sheffield after my National Service,during which I learned to drink,I wanted to investigate all the city centre pubs whose reputation I had heard so much about, and of course the local brews,one of which was Stones bitter,at that time,1950, a very light coloured beer,and quite correctly known as "Jungle Juice", the place we tried was the Yellow Lyon behind the City Hall, not living in Sheffield now,it maybe now known by another name, and the first thing that struck me and my mate was the number of blokes stood around just smoking and drinking with a far off look in their eyes.

We tried the beer,lovely stuff, and another pub and beer sampled, when I arrived home my Dad was sat reading his paper and enquired where we had been, and when I told him drinking Stones at the Yellow Lyon, his reply was "Watch out you can get addicted to that stuff!!!!!!!!!"

When I returned home to Sheffield after my National Service,during which I learned to drink,I wanted to investigate all the city centre pubs whose reputation I had heard so much about, and of course the local brews,one of which was Stones bitter,at that time,1950, a very light coloured beer,and quite correctly known as "Jungle Juice", the place we tried was the Yellow Lyon behind the City Hall, not living in Sheffield now,it maybe now known by another name, and the first thing that struck me and my mate was the number of blokes stood around just smoking and drinking with a far off look in their eyes.

We tried the beer,lovely stuff, and another pub and beer sampled, when I arrived home my Dad was sat reading his paper and enquired where we had been, and when I told him drinking Stones at the Yellow Lyon, his reply was "Watch out you can get addicted to that stuff!!!!!!!!!"

I stand to be corrected but,

was it not the Red Lion that stood behind the City Hall on Holly Street?

Link to .. 50's O/S map #02

This is the one I'm thinking of (now closed)

could I be getting the names mixed up?

This advert is from a United programme in 1993 - so where did Carling Black Label come in?

1954: Carling Black Label launched in the UK. First brewed at Hope & Anchor Brewery, Sheffield.

1998: Carling Black Label re-branded as Carling.

2003: Carling becomes first and only UK beer to achieve sales of 5 million UK barrels per year.

2006: Carling is the UK's biggest selling beer brand.

According to this web site .. www.molsoncoors.co.uk/aboutus/companyhistory

I was weened so to speak on Stones, when I started to drink beer. We used to go to the Kings Head (known by us as the Shed) at Crosspool after our Venture Scout meetings. It was available in most pubs so stuck with it until discovering that darker beers were much nicer. Choice was a bit limited in the late 70s early 80s and it was between Stones, Wards, and Tetleys if I remember.

I was weened so to speak on Stones, when I started to drink beer. We used to go to the Kings Head (known by us as the Shed) at Crosspool after our Venture Scout meetings. It was available in most pubs so stuck with it until discovering that darker beers were much nicer. Choice was a bit limited in the late 70s early 80s and it was between Stones, Wards, and Tetleys if I remember.

Surely Whitbread, John Smiths and even Sam Smiths were also available. :)

Surely Whitbread, John Smiths and even Sam Smiths were also available. :)

But of these only Stones, Wards and Whitbreads were brewed in Sheffield at that time.

Get a grip Man, you'll be on Brew Ten next !

In the 1970's some pubs around Sheffield had Brew Ten.

It was, and still is, one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

When I went to university I had a friend who had come from the west midlands / Birmingham way.

Out there they had a beer called Brew Eleven

That tasted just as bad, - presumably the next version as 11 follows 10 and they hadn't managed to improve it at all :(

But of these only Stones, Wards and Whitbreads were brewed in Sheffield at that time.

I'd kind of worked the Whitbreads bit out ... :rolleyes:

In the 1970's some pubs around Sheffield had Brew Ten.

It was, and still is, one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

When I went to university I had a friend who had come from the west midlands / Birmingham way.

Out there they had a beer called Brew Eleven

That tasted just as bad, - presumably the next version as 11 follows 10 and they hadn't managed to improve it at all :(

I tasted Brew Ten, very early 70's at the Old Blue Ball; must have been about 10 years old, my Dad gave me a taste, even as a 10 year old it was 'orrible.

I tasted Brew Ten, very early 70's at the Old Blue Ball; must have been about 10 years old, my Dad gave me a taste, even as a 10 year old it was 'orrible.

I never liked that other beer either that you could buy in a "party seven" can.

This was a large can which contained 7 pints of not very good beer.

Why 7 pints?

Why not make it hold 8 pints and call it a gallon? lol

I stand to be corrected but,

was it not the Red Lion that stood behind the City Hall on Holly Street?

Link to .. 50's O/S map #02

This is the one I'm thinking of (now closed)

could I be getting the names mixed up?

Thanks for that,but as my memory is 80 years old can I be forgiven?

Thanks for that,but as my memory is 80 years old can I be forgiven?

In that case we will have to let you off with that one then .. lol

What I can remember about the Red Lion is that,

around 1972/75 it was the only Sheffield public house I knew of

that would refuse admission to people who were wearing denim jeans.

Spent many an hour in the the Red Lion as a schoolmate of mines parents were the Landlord and Landlady during the seventies. They then moved on to take over Fox House. My friend Ian followed in the family buisness and is the Landlord at the "Bridge Inn" at Carver.