Do you recognise this church?

Kishinev93

I found this nice engraving knocking about but I don’t recognise the church.

Can anyone help?

church image.jpg

No, its not Firth Park Methodist. Its a much smaller place, doesn't have the side buildings of such a scale and its main entrance is at the front with an inscription over the entrance not the side.... but it does have two towers.

Any description with the print? Just Sheffield? It does look grand doesn't it? Date around 1870-1880 I would think.

This does seem to be likely given the 'scaled down' version built at Firth Park in 1911. Sheffield City Archives were donated a large number of John Mansell Jenkinson's plans so, if there is an index of the material the subject of the gift by the family, maybe the answer lies in their hands. Budgets and aspirations often face a reality check when the details are under scrutiny!

I have found this article in Sheffield Daily Telegraph 28 May 1910 if it helps ??

This afternoon foundation stones will he laid of a new United Methodist Church, which is to be erected in Stubbin Lane, near Firth Park. The church is to seat 500 persons, and. in addition to the usual building, there are to be church parlour, minister's vestry, choir vestry, and kitchen. Sunday schools are to be erected.
The cost of the church is estimated at £4,000. The building will be in brick, with stone tracings, and a Welch
green slate roof. The style of architecture is Perpendicular.  The architect is Mr.F.W.Chapman, of Sheffield 

Firth Park 1.JPG

Follow up to my previous post the completion. Twelve Months to Build a Church is that good??

Sheffield Independent 12 May 1911.

The opening ceremony was performed yesterday by Mrs. J. K. Baker. The Rev. M. T. Chapman (President of the Conference)
preached the dedicatory sermon.

Firth Park 2a.JPG

Thanks for that, syrup. Towers apart and general style the two churches are significantly different. Firth Park is built of brick and ashlar whilst the mystery church appears to be built of dressed stone. As a Life Boy back in the 1940/50s Firth Park was the place where we met and got bored to tears at Sunday School. In the early 1950's, with Hucklow Road Junior School overcrowded, two classes were taught in Firth Park's Methodist school room. We were divided by a large curtain and our play ground was a small piece of land adjacent to Stubbin Lane's tram stops. A really happy place to be.

Thanks everyone.  I initially thought it was Firth Park too.  Beginning to think it was a design that was never built.

On the subject of churches, I see that my old church (St Barnabas at Highfield) - I was a choirboy there in the late 60's - has been converted to one bedroom flats. Anyone any idea when this happened?