Former Petre Street Cricket Club.

Fiddlestick

A well supported club back in the 1950's, now little trace of it on Smith's Field, apart from the leveled pitch area, the large hut having long gone. Some former players I recall were Ken Speechley, a milk man of Sutherland Road, Tom Gratton and Tim Young.

I often wondered about Petre Street being pronounced locally as 'Peter Street', but according to Wikipedia there was a Baron Petre of Essex who's name was also pronounced 'Peter'.

There is a picture of the wartime barrage balloon site on Petre Street on 'Picture Sheffield' ( Picture  S 02567 ) which gives a good view of the club site before it was established. The pitch was just above the WAAF 3rd from left, and the hut eventually was sited by the bank before the trees behind. ( According to one site, barrage Balloons brought down more friendly aircraft than the enemy's !  See 'Barrage Balloon cable collisions with aircraft in WW2' )

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

There was much discussion on this topic on this page some years ago. I remember the Petre Street CC with affection, for I used to watch them play midweek matches in the 1940s. When I walked from Newhall, I used to pass close to the ground on my way to my grandmother's house in Pitsmoor, and always stopped to watch the game. The team's hero in those days was a ginger-haired chap called Hancock. I often wonder what happened to him --and to the club.

My dad worked for Sanderson Bros.and Newbould on Newhall Road and always walked there and back to Petre Street by what I think would be the same route where, on crossing Carlisle Street coming home, you would pass a nearby overhead bucket system to the right. Then you'd walk across a 'Rec' and get to Petre Street. If this was also your route, did you ever pass one another I wonder ?

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 15:04, Fiddlestick said:

My dad worked for Sanderson Bros.and Newbould on Newhall Road and always walked there and back to Petre Street by what I think would be the same route where, on crossing Carlisle Street coming home, you would pass a nearby overhead bucket system to the right. Then you'd walk across a 'Rec' and get to Petre Street. If this was also your route, did you ever pass one another I wonder ?

One access to the 'rec' was on Petre Street (steps) near Littlewood's coach garage, another at Scott Street, also steps and behind the Alexandra pub and one from the middle of Garter Street (no steps.).