Little Mester short film seeks locations around city

Guest Ally Kay

Guest Ally Kay

Hi,

I am filming a short piece on the topic of the Little Mesters of Sheffield and I am on the hunt for locations around the city that nod to this cultural heritage. 

For instance, this picture is of an old Little Mester shop in the city - but I am not sure where it was taken - has anyone seen this and knows where it's located please? I first noticed it here on this site from one of the members but there was no info on where the image was taken. 

Any advice you can give me would be massively appreciated - I plan on filming at the Kelham Island Little Mester street and inside a current Little Mester workshop - but I would love to find some sights around the city and to locate this lovely old Little Mester shop, if anyone can help? 

Thank you!

Ally

little mester shop.jpg

The "Little Mesters Shop" photographed is on Eldon Street (no through section), but the sign has now been removed.

Cutlers Hall is relevant, but maybe a bit too grand.

John Watts works on Lambert Street is very photogenic.

Guest Ally Kay

Thank you for your help - that is such a shame that the sign has now been removed! Do you know if there is anywhere else around Sheffield that  has any Mester signage or workshop fronts that are still visible? I will look into your other suggestions, thanks. 

I used to go to a company in the yard pictured here on Arundel Street. All the buildings were occupied by little manufacturing firms. In the centre is a chimney that originally supplied heat and steam to the little workshops. The chimney was surrounded by toilets that were common to all the companies. This picture shows that it is still pretty much as it was then. Entry is from a large gate that is probably the second one on Arundel street going towards Hallam Uni before Browns Lane

Little Mesters.jpg

15 hours ago, Old rider said:

I used to go to a company in the yard pictured here on Arundel Street. All the buildings were occupied by little manufacturing firms. In the centre is a chimney that originally supplied heat and steam to the little workshops. The chimney was surrounded by toilets that were common to all the companies. This picture shows that it is still pretty much as it was then. Entry is from a large gate that is probably the second one on Arundel street going towards Hallam Uni before Browns Lane

That was the Butcher Works