Making History for a Successful City

duckweed

Thanks for the opportunity to watch. I am afraid that it all looks a little too "middle class" to gain much attention from many living in our Council estates and, as a consequence, their Councillors.

I was born and bred on Shiregreen and lived in the vicinity for 40 years. I became interested in heritage when I saw how anything "old" seemed to be "pulled down"...cottages at Sheffield Lane Top and Sicey Avenue for example. To gain support of Councillors I think there is a need to spread the "gospel" a little more widely...perhaps in schools? I don't discount the good intentions of the Conference but from experience, pressure from voters has more affect than fine words..

Heritage and history don't seem to go together with the university, the destruction of grade 2 Jessops comes to mind.

We have two universities. I suspect it was the other, older one which recklessly demolished the listed building.:rolleyes:

Heritage and history don't seem to go together with the universities, the destruction of grade 2 Jessops comes to mind.

Hows that?

I hadn't realised that Hallam was  against heritage and history. That was the point I was attempting to make...especially as they hosted the event.

23 minutes ago, lysander said:

I hadn't realised that Hallam was  against heritage and history. That was the point I was attempting to make...especially as they hosted the event.

"THE University of Sheffield this week received strong support for its controversial scheme to demolish the Edwardian wing of the former Jessop Hospital to make way for an engineering complex - from its counterpart across the city.

Prof Philip Jones, Vice-Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University, said that, on this occasion, he was convinced that “the new is better than the old”.

Read more: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/hallam-backs-sheffield-in-jessop-demolition-debate-1-5163328#ixzz4ALU2QaNy

On 31/05/2016 at 14:48, lysander said:

Thanks for the opportunity to watch. I am afraid that it all looks a little too "middle class" to gain much attention from many living in our Council estates and, as a consequence, their Councillors.

I was born and bred on Shiregreen and lived in the vicinity for 40 years. I became interested in heritage when I saw how anything "old" seemed to be "pulled down"...cottages at Sheffield Lane Top and Sicey Avenue for example. To gain support of Councillors I think there is a need to spread the "gospel" a little more widely...perhaps in schools? I don't discount the good intentions of the Conference but from experience, pressure from voters has more affect than fine words..

It might look like that but we had Wincobank as principle speakers and wide representation. Part of the discussion there was how can we make it relevant to the teenager from a council house estate. The conference has really opened eyes. National Trust was very impressed. Its a beginning. Its nowhere near the end. We have plans to spread word through schools but that takes funding and our present bid was rejected. We will try again of course.

4 hours ago, neddy said:

"THE University of Sheffield this week received strong support for its controversial scheme to demolish the Edwardian wing of the former Jessop Hospital to make way for an engineering complex - from its counterpart across the city.

Prof Philip Jones, Vice-Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University, said that, on this occasion, he was convinced that “the new is better than the old”.

Read more: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/business/hallam-backs-sheffield-in-jessop-demolition-debate-1-5163328#ixzz4ALU2QaNy

Thats the hierarchy of Sheffield University not the academic body who were against the Jessop demolition. Even members of the senate were against it as was the school of architecture who wrote a scathing article against it.  Also Sheffield University gave us finance and Hallam hosted.   

Would it be possible to have a list of some of the groups who attended/are involved so people can see how diverse it is?

As Lysander says many old buildings have been demolished over the years at this end of Sheffield and it would be nice to see how well supported we are. Cliffe House, Norwood Hall, Crowder House, the old farm buildings in Firth Park etc. At present the historic Pheasant Inn at Lane top is near derelict. The owners do not bother to secure it as they want it razed to the ground to make way for a KFC. The old English Steel club house on Shiregreen Lane is due to be demolished shortly because Sheffield City Council left it unsecured and it has been subjected to abuse by vandals. We lost the old Firth Park Grammar school or Brushes as it was once known due to negligence, allowing it to be burned to the ground. Most people interested in history thinks the Council needs calling to account on many things. Not all can attend meetings so are there other ways we can show support? Thank you to all those who did attend and put forward their views.  Please keep us informed of progress. 

Lyn1... I absolutely agree with you....and you didn't mention Bishopsholme ( ??) on Herries Road, which was bulldozed after failed attempts to save it. I left the area back in the mid 80s but remember my kids doing a project ( Firth Park School when it had a 6th form) on Hartley Brook...which also touched on the history of  an area. which was to become a vast council estate. There seems to be precious little left to enthuse any youngster with local history...but there are still signs if you look for them.

Lysander

Norwood Hall was later renamed Bishopholme so yes I did mention it by its old name. he he

Norbury Hall on Barnsley Road near Firs Hill is now a Madrassa, minus its grounds, Cannon hall (pub once an old house) has gone. Page Hall now a Care home, again minus its grounds. It is amazing what has been lost at this end of Sheffield. I have been researching the whole area having lived here for more years than I care to remember and having witnessed many of the changes. Fascinating history. Changes - not so good.    :(

I had completely forgotten about the name change! I now live at the other side of town in what was, until the 1960s, a part of Derbyshire and it amazes me just how much interest there is with local history...from the coal mines to the association with Ann Boleyn...That said, I see very little sign of the Council house tenants showing much interest...but I could be very wrong.

Some assumptions are best left unspoken. As I have told my sister many times - there are council houses at Mosborough too...

Whoops, History dude...didn't wish to upset anyone. I was born in a council house and lived in one for years. I was making an observation, not a judgement nor an assumption. There is a difference.:huh: