Sweet Shop Chesterfield Road

jimmydunneclone

As a child of 4 in 1967 I recall my mum taking me in a shop on Chesterfield Rd to buy a lolly.For many years I have been searching for a picture of said premises.Finally 49 years later one has appeared on Picture Sheffield.Does anyone remember this shop-on the left? Can anyone tell me the owners name and the shop number?

ches rd.jpg

I moved away in April 1968 so one of the above will be right.Cheers neddy.

I can confirm that this was indeed the 'Sugar Bowl' as my parents had this shop between 1982 and 1984.

As I recall, next door was a shoe cobblers, I think he went by the name of Ivan? And opposite was an estate agents, Whitegates I believe. 

Unfortunatley I don't have any photographs of the old shop which is a shame. 

7 hours ago, greeny73 said:

I can confirm that this was indeed the 'Sugar Bowl' as my parents had this shop between 1982 and 1984.

As I recall, next door was a shoe cobblers, I think he went by the name of Ivan? And opposite was an estate agents, Whitegates I believe. 

Unfortunatley I don't have any photographs of the old shop which is a shame. 

The shoe repairer next door was Ivan Hayter, great bloke, he gave me my first job and trained me as a shoe repairer when he was manager of Timpson Shoe Repairs on Abbeydale Road. I later went on to manage that shop and others. Ivan had an artificial leg but could still jump off a back loader in front of the shop as the bus slowed down for the next stop.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:18, boginspro said:

The shoe repairer next door was Ivan Hayter, great bloke, he gave me my first job and trained me as a shoe repairer when he was manager of Timpson Shoe Repairs on Abbeydale Road. I later went on to manage that shop and others. Ivan had an artificial leg but could still jump off a back loader in front of the shop as the bus slowed down for the next stop.

Not far from the sweet shop but in the opposite direction.

bedford 001.JPG

7 hours ago, Waterside Echo said:

Not far from the sweet shop but in the opposite direction.

bedford 001.JPG

That photo' brings back memories, thank you, back loader coming down, possibly 75/76 route and Atlantean going up, perhaps 42/53 route, so I think it must be 60's when Ivan was probably still managing the Timpson shop on Abbeydale Road.

5 hours ago, boginspro said:

That photo' brings back memories, thank you, back loader coming down, possibly 75/76 route and Atlantean going up, perhaps 42/53 route, so I think it must be 60's when Ivan was probably still managing the Timpson shop on Abbeydale Road.

Well boginspro,  The Atlantean is a 42 [number is very clear on original photo]. Service 42 ran to Graves Park and 53 ran to Woodseats [Abbey Lane].  All that changed mid 1966 when service 38 to Lowedges was abandoned and the 42/53 took its place. So looking looking closely at all the cars [the newest one looks to be a 63 FB Vauxhall Victor] I would date it 66/67. W/E.

I was a child in the 1950s/60s and remember the sweet shop on Chesterfield Road so well.  Even if we couldn't afford any sweets I used to love to watch the working model displayed in the shop window.   The model was changed from time to time.   I remember them being  made of something like meccano which had small silver balls rolling down some contraptions.  I could stand and watch it for ages.  Such were our simple pleasures in those days!