Old Photos of Gleadless

LeadFarmer

That's correct jackanne. My dad  was always   repairing his own car, and other people seemed to bring their cars to him to fix., a skill that he has passed on to his sons!

I have looked at the names you mentioned Athy, but I don' recognise any of them. I will consult my brothers to see if they know of them.

I remember  lorries delivering coke for the school boilers and climbing up the pile. Also being a milk monitor for a while - such responsibility at a young age!

18 hours ago, BobN said:

I remember  lorries delivering coke for the school boilers and climbing up the pile. 

...and the caretaker Mr. Lancaster chasing us off it. He also used to come along and pour salt on the slides which we made in the playground in winter. We thought he was a killjoy but in retrospect I suppose he was just being careful and mindful of our safety.

At other times of year walking across the playground was made hazardous by long skipping ropes, crewed by a senior girl at each end, reaching halfway across the yard, with lots of younger girls jumping over the ropes each time they rotated. I can't remember the last time I passed a school yard and saw children skipping - only boxers in training seem to do it these days.

Yes , I remember Mr Lancaster, he once let us go into the cellar to see the boiler being loaded with coke, It looked huge to us at the time. There were outside toilets in the rear playground as well as new ones inside the main building. Mr Iosson used to come to school on his bike sometimes, it was an old sit up and beg style.We had swimming lessons at Park baths on City Road and this involved us walking down to the bus stop at Birley to catch a bus. Sports day each summer was held in Hollinsend Park, although I think I only spectated!

I put  the names of your class mates listed in your post to my brother who would have left the school in 1957, and the only one he recognises is Rodney Ellis. He also knew him in adult life as he worked at the same company. 

Thanks Bob. I think Rodney Ellis had an older brother called Roland ( because one of the teachers, perhaps Mr. Slater, sometimes called Rodney "Roland" by mistake ) so perhaps he was in your brother's class.

Replying, very late, to Athy.  I’ve just stumbled across the forum again.

Some of the names you mentioned as being in your class I knew too, though I think we were not in the same class.  John Hall had a younger sister, Mary, who was in my class.  Susan Morrell was a couple of years older than me and lived near the bottom of Ridgehill Avenue.  Alec Dorling was in my class.  He went to King Ted’s with John Clark and John Repon.

More names from my class:  Neil Dalton, Jeffrey Lake, John Youle, Richard Palnt, Sheryl Lewis, Jane Needham, Cynthia Gould, Anne Stevenson, Ann Brown, Pauline Hill, Barabara Ward, Elaine Gibbs, Elizabeth Coy.

The hut on the left behind Miss Metcalfe was Mr Iosson’s class with the bank to the stream and park behind it. 

On 18/06/2018 at 23:45, sevans said:

Replying, very late, to Athy.  I’ve just stumbled across the forum again.

Some of the names you mentioned as being in your class I knew too, though I think we were not in the same class.  John Hall had a younger sister, Mary, who was in my class.  Susan Morrell was a couple of years older than me and lived near the bottom of Ridgehill Avenue.  Alec Dorling was in my class.  He went to King Ted’s with John Clark and John Repon.

More names from my class:  Neil Dalton, Jeffrey Lake, John Youle, Richard Palnt, Sheryl Lewis, Jane Needham, Cynthia Gould, Anne Stevenson, Ann Brown, Pauline Hill, Barabara Ward, Elaine Gibbs, Elizabeth Coy.

The hut on the left behind Miss Metcalfe was Mr Iosson’s class with the bank to the stream and park behind it. 

Hi Sevans,

Bob Nutton and I have started a posting for Gleadless County School which you may find interesting. There's also some stuff about the school on the Hollinsend Park posting.

I remember John Youle, he was in the year above me and went to Hurlfield. I think he lived on Foxdale Ave off the bottom of Alnwick Road. There was a Jane Needham in our class (Mr Dyson's) and we left in 1963 so I doubt it's the same person as the one you mention.

Bob and I have tried to put together a list of the members of our class on the Gleadless Primary School posting, you may recognise some of the names.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall