Rough Bank

Guest Reddles

Guest Reddles

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me more about 'Rough Bank'. I think it was around the Park Hill flats area, and I guess was cleared for the flats. I have seen photo's on picture Sheffield and know it was houses in courts but does anyone have more info? What is the history behind the name? Was it rough??? and if so, in what sense of the word? I've also seen it referred to as Chequers Hill - same place? I have family living in Simmonites Yard - would that be the owner of a particular court?

Thanks in anticipation

Reddles

It was near Weigh Lane just around the Red Lion pub and Bernard Road. Check the pictures on picture Sheffield.

Not sure what date range you're interested in but -

1851 Map:

570bfd1648295_RoughBank1850.png.1b4ba9c5

Isaac Simmonite of Rough Bank found a dog in 1833:

570bfba61902f_RoughBank1833.png.7fa936ee

A couple of 1841 census returns, a Simmonite family living at 34 Rough Bank (but not in Simmonites Yard) and the occupants of Simmonites Yard:

570bfbf7482c2_JohnSimmonite184134RoughBa

570bfbe8d49b8_SimmonitesYard1841.thumb.j

Hi , read with interest the post re Rough Bank and in particular Simonites yard . I have been building a family tree recently and found members of my family , on my mothers side , were the occupants of Simonites yard living in No's 32/34 & 36 . Mums maiden name is Simonite . I have found information re John Simonite & his wife Fanny ( nee Wooff ) , and their children Benjamin , Charles , Edward , Isaac , Jane & Ann circa 1800 , all involved in the cutlery industry at some point in their lives . Most were burried in St Johns church yard , Bernard Street . 

On 11/04/2016 at 17:53, Reddles said:

I've also seen it referred to as Chequers Hill

That must be a reference to the Chequers Pub just past Weigh Lane going up Rough Bank.

4 hours ago, Trevn said:

Hi , read with interest the post re Rough Bank and in particular Simonites yard . I have been building a family tree recently and found members of my family , on my mothers side , were the occupants of Simonites yard living in No's 32/34 & 36 . Mums maiden name is Simonite . I have found information re John Simonite & his wife Fanny ( nee Wooff ) , and their children Benjamin , Charles , Edward , Isaac , Jane & Ann circa 1800 , all involved in the cutlery industry at some point in their lives . Most were burried in St Johns church yard , Bernard Street . 

Plenty of Simonites around the area in the 19th and early 20th Centuries, here are just some from directories of the time and below is Simonite Lane on a 1935 map.    

1833 Simonite Joseph, table blade forger, Rough bank, Park
1845 Simonite, Joseph, table knife maker, Rough Bank Park
1854/6 Simonite Isaac, grocer &c. 63 Broad Street, Park
1862 Simonite Isaac, 59 Broad Street, beeerhs
1879 Simonite Arthur,13 Bernard Lane, table knife ctlr
1879 Simonite Mrs. 1 Rough Bank, Eliza Shopkecper
1879 Simonite Isaac, coal dlr. & carter, 3, Court 10, Park Hill Lane.
1901 Simonite Thomas, 61 Staniforth Lane, cart owner
1901 Simonite Herbert, 22 Talbot Road, labourer
1901 Simonite John, 73 Weigh lane, shopkeeper, coal dealer & beer retailer,
1901 Simonite Thomas, 61 Staniforth lane Pk. cart owner,
1905 Simonite Leonard, 33 Rough Bank, shopkeeper

rough_bank_1935.png

Hi , thanks for the reply . I have managed to trace my mothers family back to the early 1700s and have more names which should get me back even further . Fortunately for my research the Simmonites never moved very far from the Rough Bank / Simonites yard area . One of my Simonite relatives married into the Samuel Walker family at the age of 16 . The Walkers were wealthy Sheffield cast steel producers and lived in Clifton house , now the museum !

Took a look on the Sheffield indexers site and the burial records which show there are almost 200 Simonites buried in City Road cemetery .