Redmires Service Station

mike142sl

I can remember this petrol station on Worcester Road (Lodge Moor) when I was a lad. The owner was called Gordon but never knew his surname - always covered in oil. I'm guessing it was built about the same time as the Shops around the corner and it must have closed and been knocked down late 70s. There's a picture on picture sheffield which takes me back.

Does anyone have any more details about it?

Never knew that existed Mike.I've lived around the area-my mum still does-since 1968 but know nothing of the place.

It's interesting to note that the service station is called Redmires on the sign.

We have owned two homes in Lodge Moor and in both cases the title deeds refer to the locations as Redmires.

Even the dental practice that moved into the old doctor's surgery, styles itself Redmires Dental Practice.

At least the old hospital was called Lodge Moor.

HD

5 hours ago, jimmydunneclone said:

Never knew that existed Mike.I've lived around the area-my mum still does-since 1968 but know nothing of the place.

It was ther in '68. We think it was demolished mid to late '70s.

Are you sure it was on Worcester Road? It looks like the one that was on Sandygate Road just about opposite the sports ground and before Coldwell Lane. I went to Nether Green school with the son of the proprietor of that garage.

2 hours ago, Old rider said:

Are you sure it was on Worcester Road? It looks like the one that was on Sandygate Road just about opposite the sports ground and before Coldwell Lane. I went to Nether Green school with the son of the proprietor of that garage.

Yes it was Worcester Rd. Sandygate Garage was next door to the Plough on Sandygate Rd near Crosspool - Now also gone.

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, syrup said:

Stab in the dark going on the Christian name, Gordon Lamb ?? 

I think he was Roy Barker

We have lived on Worcester Close since 1984. My wife has lived in Lodge Moor all her life. The garage used to be on Worcester road between the shops and Peterborough Drive.

It was demolished in the late 70's and was spare land up until the mid eighties when houses were built on the land. If you look at the picture to the right you can see the roofs of the houses on Redmires Road which are across the road from the Golf course.

I remember the place well, firstly because my dad had a business account there and we used to go and get the van filled up at a weekend and secondly because in the 70s they were one of the few places that actually personally filled up you fuel and my mum was a new driver and not confident to fill her own fuel.

I lived on Peterborough Road from 1960 through to 1978. The picture is indeed of the Worcester Road Garage and the owner/operator was Gordon Levick. The petrol filling trade became too competitive and I believe Gordon then depended on the mechanical side of the business before that eventually failed too.  It originally opened as a Regent petrol station and was built around the same time as the parade of shops nearby. The shops were interesting in the sense that the double unit on the extreme left of the parade was operated by Gowers & Burgains and was one of the first generation of supermarkets - quite a change from what had gone before. Next door was Seal's newsagent and at the opposite end of the parade was a greengrocer (whose name eludes me for the moment - Mr Ackroyd?) but who had the distinction of having operated a shop in a van to the local area in the days before the parade of shops were built. When a unit became available he leased it and operated his greengrocer's business from the shop.

Mr Akroyd think his name was joe also had the wet fish shop at the bottom of the parade the other side of the fruit shop was a chemist next to that was a hair dressers  , i think it belonged to bernard shaw ex united player,next to that was bowyers butchers