1939 Register

togger

Morning all,

According to the 1939 register my Great Grandparents have three other people living in their house in Sheffield. One of the people is named and i know who this is, but there are two other people that have the statutory "sorry, this record is officially closed etc, etc". Now, the only way i can think of to try and find out who these other two persons are is looking on an electoral roll. Problem, is there such an animal for this period and if there is where would i find it please?

If anyone needs a copy of the record then please contact me with your email and i will oblige

Probably children, who could still be alive, electoral roll would not have listed them, plus the war would have put paid to the electoral roll.

Hi Neddy,

Thanks for the reply. As the war did not start until 1st September 1939 and the register was taken on 29th of the same month i would agree with your comments. Still, we cannot say for sure that the two names are children, so can i get access to the 1938 register to have a look to see if names are listed do you know?

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

Yes I have the same, my grandparents are listed but Dad is not, as he was only 8.

Hi Oldbloke,

Yes very frustrating, but if you can prove that the people are not living anymore then you can apply for the register to be updated via the find my past website. If the person is still alive, then i don't think the register can be updated.

It was interesting to see that the register was taken on September 29th, as that was my Dad's 8th birthday. I was more concerned that my great-grandmother was missing, I'd been told that she should have been with them since the previous January. Family stories usually turn out to be very unreliable, much to my frustration.

Frustration is a word i try to ignore now lol but not very successfully i am afraid. I really do need to see who is living in the house with my Great Grandparents at this time because according to family sources there was only my Great Grandfather & Great Grandmother and her Father and no other person's ?

the mystery thickens