Which pub did you first get served in?!

theimposter1979

I think my first beer was in the Waggon and Horses in Millhouses. Probably about 16. Odd thing was that the landlord knew we were underage but we kept quiet and out of the way.

If I remember correctly, the management changed hands shortly before my 18th, and the first time I went in there after my 18th, we were quizzed about our age and refused a drink ! Didn't have anything at the time to prove otherwise :(

That reminds me of the joint 18th that I had with my mate in Woodseats, cant remember the name of the pub, big place near a bend on Chesterfield road I think. Anyway my mate had told the Manager and bar staff to wind me up by not serving me - not a happy start to my 18th celebrations lol

Seem to then remember a MASSIVE hangover the day after - never been able to touch whisky since !

The Waggon was a popular hang out for people going to Dobcroft Youth Club back in the late 60s. I think it’s fair to assume that there would have been a fair amount of underage drinkers being served on a regular basis.

Would the pub on Chesterfield Rd have been the Abbey?

I could say the pub I went in first was the sheffield arms upwell st I was about two weeks old I was born across the road but my first pint its one of a choice of three 

The sheffield arms  ball inn and the beehive inn all excellent beer that's when beer was beer I think the older ones might agree but my first legal pint was at grimesthorpe working man's club when I joined if that counts

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:45, paulhib48 said:

The Waggon was a popular hang out for people going to Dobcroft Youth Club back in the late 60s. I think it’s fair to assume that there would have been a fair amount of underage drinkers being served on a regular basis.

Would the pub on Chesterfield Rd have been the Abbey?

Hmm it may well have been, it was 30 years ago and I haven't been back there since !