Vulcan, Northern Avenue, Closed c2010?

theimposter1979

I am seeking info on this place that was often thought to have the best view from a beer garden in Sheffield. I visited in 2005 and it is now a Chinese take away. Does anyone know the year it opened/ closed or have any memories/ pictures they could share as part of my Sheffield pubs project? I understand at some point in the 90's there was a landlord called Mick?!

pm me or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

The Vulcan was built in the mid 60s when the last of the old asbestos Uni - Seco Mk II prefabs were removed (1966) and built along with the new Finnegans housing which replaced them (1967). It would have opened some time around 1968. The Finnegan houses are currently mostly boarded up awaiting demolition.
Not sure when it closed as I had moved off the Arbourthorne in 1986 and it was still open then, I think it closed some time in the 2000's.

SteveHB has provided a link to a topic I did some years ago for Sheffieldhistory about this area with pictures, some history and memories of the area. Most of the pictures and information in that topic have come from me. If any of these pictures (sorry, most are from 2009 and show it closed and boarded up, not as a working pub) or the information discussed is of any use then you may use them in your pubs topic but please acknowledge the source of the information as sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Thanks Dave- info very hard to come by on this place. I visited in 2005 and it must have shut some time between then and 2010. Thanks again 

My mother in law worked there until it closed, but she can't remember what day it is so it's no good asking her. Working from which car I had at the time, I'd say it was closed before the end of 2005, because she went from there to the Travellers on City Road before the car was stolen in early 2006. If I can get a better date for you I'll post it.

From London Gazette:

HANCOX, Michael, unemployed of 27 Algar Crescent, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S2 2JH, lately a Publican trading at The Vulcan 22 Northern Avenue Sheffield S2 2JB. Court—SHEFFIELD. No. of Matter—545 of 2003. Date of Bankruptcy Order—23rd January 2004.

Ive checked my records and I visited this pub in September 2005 and it felt like it was on its last legs then. If it only lasted until the end of the year it wouldn't surprise me. Its amazing that by the looks of it somebody else took it on after the info on the last post?

I used to go in the vulcan in the 70s and play for the pool team.It was a very busy place then

and both rooms would be full on quiz night. 

I remember this pub from watching my dad play inSaturday / Sunday league games on the playing fields behind it in 80s / 90s 

my Nan and grandad lived round the corner and we'd watch me dad then go round and see them or occasionally they would walk on and come in the pub for a drink after he'd finished playing. 

The views from the bar were great and I loved sitting looking out the window.

Wished I'd called in when I was older but never did.

I used to go in the Vulcan in the 70s and 80s it was a very busy and popular pub. They had a very good football team played on Saturdays ' Vulcan Athletic. The landlord and landlady were Mick and rose ' it was never The same after they left.

There used to be a landlord back in the 70s as a kid i remember a landlord called Mick who had a white Pyrenean Mountain Dog that ate big tubs of ice in the pub as its party trick