Oldest Grave / Headstone

sheffmark

8 hours ago, History dude said:

I'm the same Sheffmark when I see gravestones with interesting inscriptions on them. I photograph them even though they have no connection with anyone or any research that I am doing.

If you search Sheffield History with just the keyword "gravestone" you will come across some of the others that I have posted on here.

I don't know if you know this, but I did photograph the entire Gleadless Christ Church stones. If you or anyone is looking for a name just post it on here or PM me. I will send or post the gravestone on here.  

So you have an interest in gravestones too History dude. Enough to photograph them like i do. I thought it was just me that had this odd fascination he he.

Most people think i'm weird, but i see it as just another form of people history, which i'm interested in.

Yes, some that i come across are sad, but most are just humbling or just fascinating.

Thanks for the link, i'll certainly look through your past posts on the subject.

Thanks History dudelol

17 hours ago, syrup said:

I have found and Photographed the Grave you asked about I hope they are ok for you. 

56a9026f541ed_Appleyard2.thumb.JPG.8abd456a902695d250_Appleyard1.thumb.JPG.94f1c

Sorry syrup the links don't work!

PM and I'll send you my email address for the files. Thanks a million by the way for them.

Another old one i found today at St Mary's Church in Ecclesfield.

Very interesting writing.

Margret Creswic - Died 1600.

100_0621.thumb.JPG.7af213b4545baee4b8169100_0622.thumb.JPG.a31ae7e55cc7819600432

There are plenty of references to the Creswicke family in Harrison's Survey of 1637. For example James Creswick is paid £14 for part of the Little Park (in Sheffield Park). 6s.8d is paid again to him for being clerke of the church.

Creswicke's were also members of the Cutlers Company in 1624, with William, James, Thomas all having important roles in it. William is the Master in 1630, James 1632 & 1638, Thomas 1635.

On 2/1/2016 at 7:46 PM, History dude said:

There are plenty of references to the Creswicke family in Harrison's Survey of 1637. For example James Creswick is paid £14 for part of the Little Park (in Sheffield Park). 6s.8d is paid again to him for being clerke of the church.

Creswicke's were also members of the Cutlers Company in 1624, with William, James, Thomas all having important roles in it. William is the Master in 1630, James 1632 & 1638, Thomas 1635.

Thanks for the info History dude;-)

On 23/01/2016 at 7:39 PM, sheffmark said:

100_0614.thumb.JPG.5993c320fbdefda4f6e8a100_0611.thumb.JPG.4e5dce662177ff67fb314100_0613.thumb.JPG.8be85f901baac5bd8b2a6100_0614.thumb.JPG.829c5cf7174c3ffd8e703

Richard Lord became the vicar of Ecclesfield in 1585, on the recommendation of the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury.  Vicar Lord leased the right collect the tithes on the wool and lambs in Bradfield chapelry to Gilbert Dickenson.  At the time Richard Wortley was trying to change the collection of his tithes into "in kind" rather than in money, as inflation had eroded the monetary value, as well as creating his new deer park.  There was great dissatisfaction about the changes to tithe collection and the deer park.  This was demonstrated by  an outbreak of hooliganism by many of Wortley's neighbours (including Dickenson) aimed at the Wortleys (fence breaking, horse mutilation etc) which also included disorder against Vicar Lord.  The matter of the tithes was resolved against Wortley in the Court of the Exchequer in 1595.  When Wortley died in 1603 (when the battle over tithes has started again) the locals celebrated his death by composing the ballad "The Dragon of Wantley" (ie Wharncliffe) - in which the dragon symbolised Wortley.

Have you looked round parish church at Handsworth. Church is sister church to Sheffield Cathedral (founded around same time) One or two there amusing because stone mason obviously not good at measuring his inscription and runs out of space on the line. He did it several times too on different gravestones so they must have been short of a better stone mason.   

2 hours ago, duckweed said:

Have you looked round parish church at Handsworth. Church is sister church to Sheffield Cathedral (founded around same time) One or two there amusing because stone mason obviously not good at measuring his inscription and runs out of space on the line. He did it several times too on different gravestones so they must have been short of a better stone mason.   

Handsworth Church must have some really old graves, I have been there myself, but I can't recall the oldest. I know John Bower Brown of Woodthorpe Hall is there, that's a really big marble job! Till the 1920's, Handsworth parish was not part of Sheffield. The area run differently to Sheffield. The Handsworth Parish stretched all the way to Gleadless Town End (hence the name). It took in Woodthorpe and Intake too.    

The oldest gravestone I know is within Norton Church. They removed it from the graveyard I think. It doesn't have a date but there is good reason to think it is an early Christian gravestone.

DSCF0780.JPG