Barrow Boys, Shude Hill

theimposter1979

Hi,

I am in the process of doing some pub research and for a relatively (albeit short- lived) pub/ bar this place seems to have very little information about it. I have found some info on Sheff Forum and it would appear that 'it never took off' or/ because 'it was full of skinheads'.

That said, I went in with my granddad one afternoon in the mid 80's when I was about 6/7 years old!

Does anyone have any info or any pictures? The picture in the Leversidge book isn't great and I have never seen a picture of the interior...Any help appreciated!

Quote from the Sheffield Star archives... "

The Barrow Boys, pictured here in January 1987, was located under a bridge, and had just one door and no windows.  It takes its name from a local term for a market trader whose job it was to move fruit and vegetables in the market on a wheelbarrow. Today, all that remains is a bricked-up entrance in an unassuming spot close to Ponds Forge leisure centre.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/retro/retro-toasting-our-80s-pubs-1-7685546#ixzz3xmvuYjyk

Barrow Boys.jpg

Thanks for the link. I saw this earlier as well as a pic from the other side of the building. Strange how I posted is last night and then it appeared in The Star today! 

At least the alarm box is still in tact on the wall?! Couldn't help but see the humour of the initials on it, given the clientele who used to frequent the place. Maybe it was intentional and meant to symbolise the building, a bit like the 'square and compass' outside Masonic lodges?........ or maybe I'm giving this too much thought and there's an alarm company in Sheffield who go by those initials? lol

It would be interesting to find the keyholder and take a peek what's behind those shutter doors!

image.jpeg

Too right! I always wonder who owns places like this and can be bothered / afford to keep it boarded up. I wonder if any urban explorers have been in? Although I understand this is the only entrance

A friend of mine had the opportunity to go into what was the " Barrow Boys"  under Commercial Street on Pond Street, I never classed it as a pub as it only seemed to have one door to get in or out, anyway he sent me the attached photo. It's now being reopened and when the new owners and builders went in to start clearing it out, they found the Land Rover just sitting there waiting for human company. I think the plan is now to refurbish the car and sell it.

image.jpeg

Hi- I am researching a book on Sheffield pubs post 1951- and I am looking for stories/ pictures/ info and I wondered if I could use this pic? I will provide a full picture credit if I use one of your original pictures in my publication.  You can pm me or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com . 

Thanks in advance

Jamie 

On 6 June 2016 at 08:02, tozzin said:

A friend of mine had the opportunity to go into what was the " Barrow Boys"  under Commercial Street on Pond Street, I never classed it as a pub as it only seemed to have one door to get in or out, anyway he sent me the attached photo. It's now being reopened and when the new owners and builders went in to start clearing it out, they found the Land Rover just sitting there waiting for human company. I think the plan is now to refurbish the car and sell it.

image.jpeg

Hi - is it reopening as a pub/bar? Are there any pics of what it was like before they stripped it out?

I also went in with my granddad and mom in the eighties after shopping in the castle and sheaf market. I can remember them doing amazing chip butties.

Back in the early fifties,(I am an old codger) it was a workshop/ storeroom belonging to Sheffield Gas Company. I had an uncle who worked there.