SYPTE Summary of Conditions of Service. 1974

syrup

Interesting reading. I am surprised to learn that the Tuesdays following bank holidays were also treated as bank holidays, but that Christmas Day wasn't. Not sure how that would have worked.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, Athy said:

Interesting reading. I am surprised to learn that the Tuesdays following bank holidays were also treated as bank holidays, but that Christmas Day wasn't. Not sure how that would have worked.

The wording is probably key as it says the following "are agreed as Public Holidays".  It should be remembered that the only two public holidays enshrined in law are Christmas Day and Good Friday and neither are mentioned.  Current bank holidays are the first none Sunday or Saturday in the year, Easter Monday, first and last Mondays in May, last Monday in August.  The next weekday following Christmas Day.  If Christmas Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday then the second working day following is also a bank holiday.  There were actually two less in 1974. Does appear some clause is missing though.  It should also be remembered Boxing Day (26th December) is a day in name only not a public or bank holiday, of course it always falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday anyway.

Is this document the root cause of the poor Yuletide service prevision that developed during the SYPTE era?

I vaguely recall Drivers being requested or allowed to volunteer to work Bank Holidays which consisted of a 4 Hour shift at a much greater hourly rate and a Day in Lieu . The whole Day did not have a full service it was only between certain hours.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, syrup said:

I vaguely recall Drivers being requested or allowed to volunteer to work Bank Holidays which consisted of a 4 Hour shift at a much greater hourly rate and a Day in Lieu . The whole Day did not have a full service it was only between certain hours.

I have notes which show that in 1974 that was probably the case on Christmas Day.  In fact, in those days Christmas Day was the only day in the year when a Sunday or better service was not operated all day.  

Looking again, I am surprised that the wages of a conductor were almost as much as those of a driver - driving surely being a job requiring more skill.