Bradfield pubs in 1782? Help needed from pub people

miked

Looking into the Frank Fearne murder, a lot has been written that just does not add up. (Not that he didn't brutely murder Nathan Andrews).

Its been said that they were on their way to the Old Horns, I dont think it would have existed in 1782? Where would they be going? Where there any pubs in the area at this time. Perhaps a beer house?

Opinions please

Thanks

mike

1782 from An Old Ecclesfield Diary
Fras. Fearn Hung in Chains on Loxley Plain July 24, ( The Sheffield Local Register says; In March this year a man named Frank Fearn was gibbeted on Loxley-Edge for the murder of Nathan Andrews, a respectable watchmaker,in High Street, Sheffield. The Rev. Reginald A. Gatty gives some rather gruesome details of this in "A life at one living," and the editor has seen an oak snuff box, one of a number made from the gibbet-post. )

Thanks very much for these replies, much appreciated,  I have a newspaper ref from York Prison.    London Chronicle 26th March 1782. I cant find it on Find my Past, is there another way? Thanks, mike

16 hours ago, miked said:

Looking into the Frank Fearne murder, a lot has been written that just does not add up. (Not that he didn't brutely murder Nathan Andrews).

Its been said that they were on their way to the Old Horns, I dont think it would have existed in 1782? Where would they be going? Where there any pubs in the area at this time. Perhaps a beer house?

Opinions please

Thanks

mike

The first mention in the independent of the Old Horns is September 1834 (an inquest held there following a drunken fray).  It would presumably have been established prior to that date (as the "Horns" initially?)

Wiki

"On Jane Street is the Grade II listed building known as the Old Post Office, built from gritstone with a slate roof in 1835, it was originally an inn called Heaven House or Heaven's Gate and later The Cross Daggers. Later it served as a registry office, vestry and school and latterly as a post office, it is now a private dwelling divided into several flats."

it says ...

Earliest I know of is James Siddons, Old Horns 1833

and Ann Morton at Cross Daggers in 1833 which might imply there were different buildings, or then again, maybe it doesn't.

Earliest I know of is James Siddons, Old Horns 1833

and Ann Morton at Cross Daggers in 1833 which might imply there were different buildings, or then again, maybe it doesn't.

Wasn't The Crossed Daggers at Low Bradfield, near the village green, about opposite to the post office. 

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 11:59 PM, Meersbrook said:

Wasn't The Crossed Daggers at Low Bradfield, near the village green, about opposite to the post office. 

Yes you 're right Meersbrook, this is a picture of the Cross pub as it is today opposite the post office. The ex pub is now private accommodation.

My late father in-law lived at the pub with his aunt when he was a boy.

Cross expub.2013.JPG