Pub at Westfield/waterthorpe farm on Carley Drive

miamivice

Are you sure you mean Carley Drive? I only ask as I always believed this road was part of the creation of the 'Mosborough Townships' and pre-1970's didn't even exist, as it was on the site of the old sand quarries, between Halfway and Beighton. Even Waterthorpe Farm, which used to be 200yds West of Carley Drive succumbed to the developers in the late 80's and although the old farmhouse still exists as two separate houses, the remainder of the land where the outbuildings stood is a cul-de-sac, Waterfield Mews.

Carley Drive is occupied by business premises, the most notable of which are 'School Trends', 'Emerson Power Networks' and 'Square Kitchens' amongst others. I believe there's also a gym and some lock-up type warehousing.

I never recall there being a public house on Carley Drive, but would be very interested to know any information to the contrary...

It was about where Waterthorpe farm was but on the other side of the footpath that crosses the whit bridge, at the back of the playground?

It seems you were right 'miamivice', as after some digging around, I found there was a social club on Carley Drive. It was originally called the 'Township Club' (which became the Eclipse Club) and was opened in the early 80's as a focal point for the community, on a similar basis to a working mens club, with film screenings, variety acts, bingo, etc. although I can't find anywhere that says it was licensed? I found several references: (click on each to open the pages)

1. A map from 1981-2, showing the location just where you had it, between Waterthorpe Farm and Carley Drive 
  2. An image on 'Picture Sheffield' showing it just to the right of the white footbridge, crossing Owlthorpe Greenway and above Waterthorpe Farm
  3. Some discussion on another form website, with others recollecting the 'Township' and 'Eclipse' club

So it seems that 'School Trends' was built over the site of the club, after it closed in the early 90's? I'll keep browsing to see if I can find any more details about the club, but it certainly was there for ten years or so.

It can't have been open 15 years then if that's the case, it would have been built in the late 1970's. Does anyone have a picture of the building. I wonder why it closed down?

Photographs of the actual building are really difficult to find from the usual sources, although there's plenty on the Mosborough Township history and buildings, infrastructure, etc. etc. so may get lucky there? Amazing how so much has changed in and around that area, even in the 20 years I've been moved back and very little survives in imagery of how it used to be.

If these aerial photographs are date correctly, selecting '2002', the building can clearly still be seen, with the large car park to the North. However, by selecting the next time frame of 27 September 2008, the School Trends building covers the site.

Aerial Photo of Eclipse Club / School Trends

So, if the club was built in the early 80's and still there in 2002, it was standing for at least 20 years, if not open for all that time? I'll keep looking for some photos, as there's lots of material on the surrounding area and I've no idea when or why it closed. Maybe the opening of Crystal Peaks multiplex cinema, other local pubs (Belfry, Hawk and Dove, etc.) and changing trends in 'going out' killed it off? Or maybe it befell the same fate at the Golden Keys, which went downhill rapidly into a drug den of iniquity before being closed around the same time?

I'll keep on looking......

Thinking back its possible School Trends occupied the building after its use as a club. Was it like a working men's club or was it like a function room? I can remember it playing host to a fair every year though.