Mattocks Family Butchers in 1930s onwards

Guest Michael Astill

Guest Michael Astill

My Father Ken Astill met Tony Mattock just after The War about 1947 Tony didn't want to join the Butchery Family Firm so Ken & Tony set up Central Dairy Products it Was Bakery & Butchery Combined they took a Shop in King St , I just remember how busy it was , also in the 50s they supplied Billy Butlin with Pork Pies to some of the holiday camps , Dad kept in touch with the Family Till the 90 s I think Ricky sadly died in a car accident, anyone else any memories of the firm 

Guest Michael Astill

Thanks for The Picture SteveHB  I left Sheffield to Move to The South West 50 years ago , I am trying to find more about The Mattock Family who my Father was involved with for many years , The Bakery I remember was in Harland Rd of Ecclesaul Rd, Mr Tony Mattock lived in Iyam in Derbyshire near Bakewell , I believe his grave is in the Churchyard I remember in the 50s he drove in The Monte Carlo Ralley, He was in The RAF as a Pilot I believe he Flew Mosquitos also I think his wife was Swiss and they had a Son called Ricki

The other part of The Firm Mattocks High Class Butchers had several shops , Arthur Mattock was I understand a fine business man , also I beleve there could have been other family members in that firm , Two Distinct Butchers who worked for the Mattocks were Harry ??? & John ???? and not forgetting the fantastic Character who rambled around Derbyshire in his Mattocks van Buying Poultry & Game Joe Williamson I can remember him now saying to me Dad NA THEN SURREY , Some of My Dads Sisters also worked at The Bakery in Harland Rd , May Astill , Vera Astill , even for a while in his 60s my Grandad Franklin Astill

Guest Michael Astill

Having Just Spoken to my Aunty Vera [was Astill] she remembers they had shops at Pittsmoor & Spital Hill and Arthur Mattock became famous for sending our his High Quality Meats delivered with Pony & Trap , the Trap Beautiful Livery , all the way out to Ecclesaul etc

Guest Michael Astill

Thanks SteveHB great Photos of the Old Mattocks Butchers Shops Empire , Strangley Enough whilst looking for Tony Mattocks Grave in Eyam Derbyshire I bumped into a Gentleman who latterly worked for the firm as an accountant & was involved closing down the firm.

Any photos of Central Dairy Products Shop in King St Sheffield ? [This was Tony Mattocks Shop ]

The photo of Mattock's (s25421) is at the Ellesmere Road/Gower Street junction with the old Burngreave library to the left. Mattock's had the shop that was behind the van and then took the store to the left that used to be Gowers and Burgon's.