Study Day on GEORGIAN SHEFFIELD: 24 Oct.

Geoffrey

There's less than a fortnight to go now to the Study Day which I've got together on GEORGIAN SHEFFIELD and Norton. It arose partly out of academic work I've done on 18th century church history, and partly from a fascination with my own relatives' part in the huge changes which Sheffield underwent in the long reign of George III (who, encountering the Shore family of Norton on holiday famously muttered 'Damned bad place, Sheffield').

After coffee from 9.30am, our programme begins at 10am with a welcome, and then a talk by Robin Fielder on Sheffield's progress in industry and transport. Robin is well known for his work with the WEA, and his booklet on Kelham Island; he is stepping in at short notice to take the place of Dr David Hey, who, sadly, has had to withdraw because of ill health. Sheffield's narrow valleys gave her a head start in the Industrial Revolution, thanks to water power, but they also cut her off from potential markets; the rise of steam power and improved transport links from the later 18th century changed all that.

Our next speaker is Professor Clyde Binfield, who will tell us about religious life in the Georgian period. Sheffield's influence in the development of the churches has been largely overlooked, but in the early part of the 18th century the (basically Presbyterian) Attercliffe Academy produced many leaders, including an Archbishop of Canterbury! Sheffield (along with Norton) had a key place in the rise of Unitarianism, had thriving Congregationalist chapels, and also produced the first Methodist Sunday Schools. Yet Methodism also provoked riots, as did Vicar Wilkinson's profiting from enclosures, while the small Roman Catholic Community was generally tolerated and unmolested.

After a light lunch, we shall take a look at the Georgian buildings around the centre of Norton (weather permitting), and finally David Price, the author of 'Sheffield Troublemakers' will examine the forces and personalities which engendered the city's radical tradition: the rise of printing, circulating libraries and various societies, which began to challenge the absent aristocracy, the Burgesses and magistracy, and even the Cutlers' Company. We shall (in good Sheffield tradition) end with tea, and proceedings will end about 3.30pm.

If you would like to come, please book a place with me by email (by the 19th, please): geoffreywhite_333@hotmail.com . The cost will be £9, payable in advance or at the door -but please remember to book, as we need firm numbers for catering. We hope for a very enjoyable day, and though our church renovations are not quite finished, we at St James' would also like to show you the renovations we have made to our lovely medieval church.

Best wishes,

Geoffrey.