Where is this

dalewoods8

Can anyone identify the place on this George Cunningham watercolour. I don't think it is local, Clovelley has been suggested but I'm not so sure.

Cunningham Watercolour.JPG

You may already know this, but it appears that the Porter Brook Gallery has this watercolour sketch on display at their gallery in Sharrow Vale.

Porter Brook Gallery

If it's local to you and you have the time, you could call in (or if not, call them) and ask if they know anything about the location in the watercolour?

Hope this helps?

I looked through George Cunningham's portfolio and think I may have found a match. I believe the location is Brunswick Street, Whitby and after looking at a current street view, I'm pretty sure it's correct. Looking at the gradient, the railings, chimneys and profiles of the buildings, I think it's pretty convincing?

See what you think and hope this solves your mystery?!

image.png

I looked through George Cunningham's portfolio and think I may have found a match. I believe the location is Brunswick Street, Whitby and after looking at a current street view, I'm pretty sure it's correct. Looking at the gradient, the railings, chimneys and profiles of the buildings, I think it's pretty convincing?

See what you think and hope this solves your mystery?!

Crikey!

Well done.

That looks spot on R longden, thanks very much, I felt sure someone would recognise the distinctive chimneys and buildings but did not expect such a quick identification.

yours gratefully

I.

Well done RLongdon. On the same lines here's another painting of a scene in Whitby.

Anyone who visits Whitby will have walked past the front of this yard many times but here's how it looked many years ago [at the back]

and having gone to have a nosey only last week, nothing much has changed. Arguments Yard, what an address very different

to a Cherry Tree Walk.

003.JPG

Arguments Yard, Whitby 1895.jpg

Both paintings are fantastic portrayals of Whitby and I congratulate you on having bought them.

Whitby, Sandsend, Kettleness, Hinderwell, Staithes, etc., etc., have all been favourite haunts of mine ever since the 1960's and I try to get back there at least once in each year.

If you like Whitby too, then it is worth checking out the photographs taken in the 19th century by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe. I like to try and emulate his style and composition in some of my own photographs, but unfortunately, I know that I will never be quite good enough.

Both paintings are fantastic portrayals of Whitby and I congratulate you on having bought them.

Whitby, Sandsend, Kettleness, Hinderwell, Staithes, etc., etc., have all been favourite haunts of mine ever since the 1960's and I try to get back there at least once in each year.

If you like Whitby too, then it is worth checking out the photographs taken in the 19th century by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe. I like to try and emulate his style and composition in some of my own photographs, but unfortunately, I know that I will never be quite good enough.

The top picture is a photograph of  the front of Arguments Yard which I took myself but the painting is of the inside of the Yard done by Les Cornthwaite

of Sheffield. I believe he painted it from this photograph.

Yard 1.JPG