Samuel Bingham born 1880

Guest Fletcher Lily

Guest Fletcher Lily

Hi All

Im looking in to Samuel Bingham, I believe he's my great great grandfather. In 1911 he's at Fir-Vale, aged 31, and relationship to head is patient. He's with a lot of patients what could he be suffering from? Was there an outbreak of dieases because he died 1912?

Thank you in advance

Laura (Lily Fletcher great granddaughter)

Hi Laura,If you go back thorough the 1911 census pages from the one Samuel is on, you will eventually find the first page which shows he is in the Sheffield Union Hospital, which is the forerunner of the current Northern General Hospital. Unfortunately it does not give any other information except that he is a patient.

I see a Samuel Bingham died in Sheffield in Dec qtr 1912; might that be him?

Good hunting, John

Guest Fletcher Lily

Thanks Everyone.

Tozzin I'm not sure about shopkeeper or publican. On Lily Fletcher's 1926 marriage cert I have her father is marked as deceased and a knife cutler. So he could be the same Samuel who died in 1912.

These are the references to a Samuel Bingham that I've come across in several Directories that I have and there are only two or three people with this name and not knowing just where your Samuel lived, I've concentrated on this one, there was another Samuel who lived at Darnall ; 1849: Samuel Bingham, 16 Penistone Road, Shopkeeper & Metalsmith. 1852: Samuel was still at the same address doing the same thing as above. 1856: Samuel still as above but there is a mention of Samuel Bingham Jnr, living at No 8 Oaks Bank. 1879: Samuel Bingham Licensee of the FIVE ALLS at No 168 Infirmary Rd, could it be he's made enough money to be able to buy this pub? Samuel Jnr is now a metal Spinner living at No43 Penistone Road. 1911: Samuel Bingham was living at No 67 Montgomery Terrace. These two men may not be the same Samuel you ask about but only you can answer that for me Fletcher Lily.

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry and they all point to this Samuel whose father also died young pre 1890 I think.  

From the Sheffield indexers website there is a baptism - 

Bingham, Samuel (of 5ct 10 Hawley Croft, born 1880-12-08).
     Baptised January 19, 1881, by J.W. Talbot at St Luke, Hollis Croft.
     Parents name(s) are Eliza & James (Pearl fluter).

Eliza was also in trouble with the law being drunk & disorderly in Sept I think it was 1890 and again in Oct so spent 7 days each time in Wakefield jail. 

1881 census - they are at Hawley St

other children are James 11, Arthur 7, Clara 5 and Samuel 3mths.

1891 census Eliza is a widow working as a metal rubber, all children are 10 yrs older and  living at 22 Marsden Lane 

By 1901  Eliza is living with her married daughter Clara now Cousens at Hollis Croft along with Samuel 21 a butchers knife cutler.

Eliza's maiden surname appears to be Dixon.

Lyn

1871 census gives James Bingham as married aged 23 living at 9court 4 houses Broad Lane with Eliza Dickson 22 unmarried and James Bingham Dickson aged 1 - interesting! They finally married in the march qtr of 1879

Guest TylneyRdGirl

Going back to original question about - what could he have been suffering from? Was than an outbreak?  

If he was a knife grinder then it is very likely he has TB. I have generations of Wilkinsons and Smiths who were knife grinders and dead before 40 from TB. Here are a couple of interesting piece of folk history that can support that:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Sheffield_Grinder.htm

Guest Fletcher Lily

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry and they all point to this Samuel whose father also died young pre 1890 I think.  

From the Sheffield indexers website there is a baptism - 

Bingham, Samuel (of 5ct 10 Hawley Croft, born 1880-12-08).
     Baptised January 19, 1881, by J.W. Talbot at St Luke, Hollis Croft.
     Parents name(s) are Eliza & James (Pearl fluter).

Eliza was also in trouble with the law being drunk & disorderly in Sept I think it was 1890 and again in Oct so spent 7 days each time in Wakefield jail. 

1881 census - they are at Hawley St

other children are James 11, Arthur 7, Clara 5 and Samuel 3mths.

1891 census Eliza is a widow working as a metal rubber, all children are 10 yrs older and  living at 22 Marsden Lane 

By 1901  Eliza is living with her married daughter Clara now Cousens at Hollis Croft along with Samuel 21 a butchers knife cutler.

Eliza's maiden surname appears to be Dixon.

Lyn

1871 census gives James Bingham as married aged 23 living at 9court 4 houses Broad Lane with Eliza Dickson 22 unmarried and James Bingham Dickson aged 1 - interesting! They finally married in the march qtr of 1879

I think this is my Samuel because Lily is registered born at court 16 Edward Street 1897, around the corner from this Samuel. The fact James and Eliza and living together for 8 years unmarried is very interesting......

Guest Fletcher Lily

Going back to original question about - what could he have been suffering from? Was than an outbreak?  

If he was a knife grinder then it is very likely he has TB. I have generations of Wilkinsons and Smiths who were knife grinders and dead before 40 from TB. Here are a couple of interesting piece of folk history that can support that:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Sheffield_Grinder.htm

Wow thank!!